PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

AC Compressor Clutch Question

Old 09-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Default AC Compressor Clutch Question

Aloha folks,
Ok so my compressor clutch **** the bed yesterday with all the insane heat and humidity we have been having here.
Symptom: when I started the 3 (vehicle warm from driving) a very loud grinding noise from the engine. After inspecting the clutch was engaged but black grease was seen all on the outer rim of the clutch. It had even flung a minute amount on the skid plate bellow.
When I got home i shot a **** load of WD40 (miracle lube) all over the clutch. This seem to take away the sound.
Conclusion: The clutch is bad and lets hope it didnt screw up the compressor.

Question: I have looked high and low and can not find just the clutch component for our vehicle. I did however find it for the the 2010 H3. Maybe they changed the compressor that year. Anybody have any ideas?
Thank you.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:33 PM

I would just change the whole thing. you gotta get the whole thing out anyway.... I was in the same situation as you and just decided to change the whole thing. Because the clutch is attached to the compressor, I was nervous that it caused damage to it.... I DID NOT change the accumulator or the other thing they suggest you change. If the compressor is working, I dont see a need to. over all, its a pretty easy, straight forward job, just a little time consuming.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:00 AM
Default 3 years and still pumping cold!

Originally Posted by mr.spooky
I would just change the whole thing. you gotta get the whole thing out anyway.... I was in the same situation as you and just decided to change the whole thing. Because the clutch is attached to the compressor, I was nervous that it caused damage to it.... I DID NOT change the accumulator or the other thing they suggest you change. If the compressor is working, I dont see a need to. over all, its a pretty easy, straight forward job, just a little time consuming.
TY Mr. SPOOKY for the tips! Changed the entire compressor and that's all. She still blowing cold as ever!!