Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Coolant Leak...

Old 10-25-2018, 08:39 AM
Default Coolant Leak...

I'm starting this thread regarding my H3 2006 (3.7l, 80k km). The problem is with coolant system, leaks water and overheated, the engine temp goes to max and after checking the coolant there is leak. I have already changed to many things such Head Gasket, thermostat, hoses etc. I cant drive more then 3km !!! noo coolant after re-freshed.
My next question is what is the best diagnostic software for Hummer? which can help me to identify the problem.
Please write down the interface cable too that is compatible with that software !

regards

Old 10-25-2018, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Software does not diagnose coolant leaks, your eyeballs and nose do.

I assume you are using Dex-Cool antifreeze/coolant, because water alone would never do it.

You say you have a leak, does it drip on the ground? H3 radiators are known to crack and or leak at the aluminum pinch connection to the plastic top of the tank. You may have a pin hole that sprays a very small amount of coolant every time it reaches operating temperature, small enough that it burns off as it mists back against the hot engine/exhaust parts. It should eventually leave residue and crud stuck to the coolant residue, look for that. Open the hood after a drive at full temperature and look to see what is going on.

Have you looked at your transmission fluid and motor oil for coolant?

Old 10-25-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Software does not diagnose coolant leaks, your eyeballs and nose do.

I assume you are using Dex-Cool antifreeze/coolant, because water alone would never do it.

You say you have a leak, does it drip on the ground? H3 radiators are known to crack and or leak at the aluminum pinch connection to the plastic top of the tank. You may have a pin hole that sprays a very small amount of coolant every time it reaches operating temperature, small enough that it burns off as it mists back against the hot engine/exhaust parts. It should eventually leave residue and crud stuck to the coolant residue, look for that. Open the hood after a drive at full temperature and look to see what is going on.

Have you looked at your transmission fluid and motor oil for coolant?
Hi again and thank you for replying.
No i haven't check the Transmission fluid, could that make the whole problem? my car was in Germany the service has changed all these part that i stated on my first post.. I will try to check the transmission fluid and come back to you.
I asked for software to diagnose other problem that shows on the board computer of the car... gives me error of ABS,BRAKE and system! If you know good software please let me know.

thank you!
regards

Old 10-13-2019, 06:47 PM

The 2 issues sound unrelated. You could buy a scan gauge to help decode problems. However, the leak would be as said a hardware issue that you will need to observe and decode visually.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:15 PM

Hy armado99, i've had a leak too at radiator, had to find it first and it was a bitch to find. I changed the radiator and the problem was solved. I use the Dex-coolant ready mix since years, never had problems.