PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4Low Lock Didn't Work

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Default 4Low Lock Didn't Work

Have had my H3 for 3 weeks now, and I went to the Superlift ORV Park Saturday. Some of the trails scared me, i thought I wouldn't get out without thousands of dollars in damage, but I made it scratch free. Loved the trip though, will go back again but with bigger tires(still using the 265's). Anyways, there were some climbs where I could have really used the 4Low Lock. I have a 5 speed manual, 2008. 4High Lock worked fine for me, but I'd press the 4Low button, it'd flash about 10 times, then it'd be back on 4High(unlocked).

Am I doing something wrong? I was in neutral, and stopped, what am I missing?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:18 AM

check wire harness to your transfer case..it seems electronics goes well but the solenoid in transfer not..also you can check the electrical fuse box..

Old 01-27-2010, 08:07 AM

Try pushing the low lock button and then slowly rolling the vehical a little bit. Sometimes, especially if you're already in hi lock, you'll have a little gear bind that the electric shifter can't overcome. Generally the flashing light is telling you that the shifter hasn't moved the gears and made the shift. Try it in the parking lot and let us know how it goes, it won't hurt anything as long as you don't drive it around like that on a high traction surface, a gravel parking lot would be best. You may encounter the flashing light no shift problem coming out of lock sometimes also, again it is usually just gear bind that is preventing the shift, and rolling forward or back will usually cure it.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:48 AM

I would concur with 4DIGR. Ideally, you will be moving 3mph or less in neutral when making the switch to or from 4-Lo Lock.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Two words: Owner's Manual.

Read it, know it, live it.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by 4DIGR
Try pushing the low lock button and then slowly rolling the vehical a little bit. Sometimes, especially if you're already in hi lock, you'll have a little gear bind that the electric shifter can't overcome. Generally the flashing light is telling you that the shifter hasn't moved the gears and made the shift. Try it in the parking lot and let us know how it goes, it won't hurt anything as long as you don't drive it around like that on a high traction surface, a gravel parking lot would be best. You may encounter the flashing light no shift problem coming out of lock sometimes also, again it is usually just gear bind that is preventing the shift, and rolling forward or back will usually cure it.
thanks, makes sense I guess, I'll go try it

Old 01-27-2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Manons75
Have had my H3 for 3 weeks now, and I went to the Superlift ORV Park Saturday. Some of the trails scared me, i thought I wouldn't get out without thousands of dollars in damage, but I made it scratch free. Loved the trip though, will go back again but with bigger tires(still using the 265's). Anyways, there were some climbs where I could have really used the 4Low Lock. I have a 5 speed manual, 2008. 4High Lock worked fine for me, but I'd press the 4Low button, it'd flash about 10 times, then it'd be back on 4High(unlocked).

Am I doing something wrong? I was in neutral, and stopped, what am I missing?
As per Owners Manual, a very good read, the clutch must be engaged also....

Old 01-27-2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Two words: Owner's Manual.

Read it, know it, live it.

What he said

Old 01-28-2010, 01:20 PM

haha i just read the posters original thread and immediately thought he didn't push the clutch in, but someone beat me to it lol. I've got an 07' H3 thats 5 speed manual too. How were the trails there? Any rocks/water or just hills and mud?

Old 01-28-2010, 03:16 PM

Just in case you don't have the opportunity to RTFM as Doc Olds so eloquently said, here is the pertinent section:

===========================================
To shift into Four-Wheel-Low Lock, the ignition
must be in ON and the vehicle must be stopped or
moving less than 3 mph (5 km/h) with the
transmission in NEUTRAL (N). The preferred
method for shifting into Four-Wheel Low is to have
your vehicle moving 1 to 2 mph (1.6 to 3.2 km/h).
Press and release the Four-Wheel-Low Lock
button. If your vehicle has a manual transmission,
the clutch pedal must be pressed to the floor while
you press the Four-Wheel-Low Lock button, or the
shift will not be completed. You must wait for the
Four-Wheel-Low Lock indicator light to stop
flashing and remain lit before shifting your
transmission in gear.

It is normal for your vehicle to have engagement
noise and bump when shifting between
Four-Wheel Low and Four-Wheel High ranges or
from NEUTRAL with the engine running.

If the Four-Wheel-Low Lock button is pressed
when your vehicle is in gear and/or moving
too fast, the Four-Wheel-Low Lock indicator light
will flash for 15 seconds and not complete the shift
unless your vehicle is moving less than 3 mph
(5 km/h) and the transmission is in NEUTRAL (N).
After 15 seconds the transfer case will return to
the last chosen setting.
===========================================

That last bit sounds like what Manons75 reported. So if he is following all the instructions and it still doesn't work, I'm guessing it's broke.

Quick Reply: 4Low Lock Didn't Work