PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

4 wheel lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Default 4 wheel lock issue

Did a search and found that my problem may be the actuator or hub sleeve?

It will go into four wheel lock while I am driving without pushing the button. Mostly when I am driving slowly making a turn. Has only happened a three times now but I should get this checked out.

Anybody else had this problem lately? I hate taking it to the dealership. Under warranty. 2010 Alpha with almost 18k miles so it is not a fork issue.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:30 AM

I'm sure you mean 4hi lock,not 4 wheel lock,that would mean you were in 4 lo lock with front and rear diffs locked,just to avoid confuson.
If the tcase goes into lock mode,"somehow", the lock sleeve has to move into the drive gear for the front drive planetary assm,"somehow" If its actually not the fork,then the actuator assm is "somehow" doing it by itself,moving the fork,thus moving the sleeve.
With luck it might get fixed by working on the actuator without pulling the t case. Controller,wiring?

Old 09-03-2012, 12:01 PM

Bite the bullet and take it to the best (old HUMMER) Dealer in your area. It is under warranty, you will get a loaner Caddy and it won't cost you anything.

It could be any of 10 different issues. Please, after the issue/issues are repaired come back and let us know what fixed the problem. That's how we learn. Passing on the information.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Default 4 wheel low lock issue

Hey Scared2buy, have you taken your H3 to the dealer to get checked? This happened to me two weeks ago, where it went into 4L lock after I turned right from a red light. I have a 08 H3 with 68k miles. This also happened a while back. I didn't think anything of it at the time. I did have the fluids changed (axels, Tcase....) in Aug. I bought the vehicle used with 31k miles so I don't know what was done prior to my purchase.
My H3 is stock except for a front leveling kit.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:52 PM

I have a somewhat similar issue, BUT my normal 60/40 AWD is working but when I try 4 hi lock the button does not blink, nor does 4 hi lock engage. No CEL on or anything. Any thread suggestions or advice on any of our issues? 4 Lo works just fine. 4 hi is the only one not working. No idea. If the transfer case motor is bad would it still make it to 4 Lo just fine? Or another issue? HELP!!!!!

Old 03-31-2015, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BradRoppe
I have a somewhat similar issue, BUT my normal 60/40 AWD is working but when I try 4 hi lock the button does not blink, nor does 4 hi lock engage. No CEL on or anything. Any thread suggestions or advice on any of our issues? 4 Lo works just fine. 4 hi is the only one not working. No idea. If the transfer case motor is bad would it still make it to 4 Lo just fine? Or another issue? HELP!!!!!
Welcome. You need to LOOK how old a thread is BEFORE you post in it to dig it up to the front of the board. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/n...bumping-23220/

You also MUST avoid duplicate posts, just because you have a question about an issue that you believe is the same issue in some old thread, does not mean this is your own personal "let me ask my question multiple times forums."

Old 05-23-2015, 10:45 PM
Default Help

noticed today my 4 wd service light came on also noticed that none of my 4wd indicate lights aren't on and won't come on

Old 06-06-2015, 11:07 AM

Hello all and sorry to hi jack this thread as I am unable to post threads as a newbie. I did a good number to my transfer case. I own a 2008 alpha. It does not have the lockers on it and is the bw 4493. I am wanting to upgrade it to the bw4494. I know the new bw4494 comes with the metal fork in it.

My question is, can I buy a 2007 bw 4494, replace the plastic fork with the metal fork, and bolt right in to tranny with no issues. I found a used bw 4494 that came out of an 07 adventure package for $500. Any and all help is welcome.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bigtexan
Hello all and sorry to hi jack this thread as I am unable to post threads as a newbie. I did a good number to my transfer case. I own a 2008 alpha. It does not have the lockers on it and is the bw 4493. I am wanting to upgrade it to the bw4494. I know the new bw4494 comes with the metal fork in it.

My question is, can I buy a 2007 bw 4494, replace the plastic fork with the metal fork, and bolt right in to tranny with no issues. I found a used bw 4494 that came out of an 07 adventure package for $500. Any and all help is welcome.
The BW 4493/4494 are direct swaps. Just the internals are different.
Unplug, unbolt, swap, bolt and plug and you are good to go.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
The BW 4493/4494 are direct swaps. Just the internals are different.
Unplug, unbolt, swap, bolt and plug and you are good to go.
How do you know this? Are you sure? Some do know not match up depends the year. Com on Stuck like chuck in Detroit!

Quick Reply: 4 wheel lock issue