PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2014 hummer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 06:01 PM

Well, in December, I spent $4,100 on my POS H3 with a new head and various other issues and then while on a road trip, wasn't sure I was going to make it to my destination due to the violent shaking from the drive-train. When I got there, took it to a very capable and trusted GM shop (not dealership) and was informed that the *entire* drive-train was shot - as in both diffs/axles, all CV joints and transfer case. Oil was leaking from all. Why??? Only ~75K miles and I *babied* this thing and never took it off-road! Was quoted between $8K and $10K.

Hey, it was a decent mid-size SUV for the first 4 years I had it - the last couple were HELL, but the fact is, it was underpowered, cramped interior with no space to haul anything and was just plagued with problems. Granted, I'm sure many of the problems were due to the fact that it was an '06.

I traded it on 12/31/13 for a 2014 Jeep Wrangler 4 dr Rubicon. A $44,000 Jeep! WTH?! Was a little apprehensive at first, but now, I ask myself every single day why I didn't go this route sooner. I owned my H3 because I like very boxy militaristic vehicles and when I got my H3 in 2007, Jeep was pure schitt. That 137HP 3.8L engine couldn't get out of its own way. However, now they got it right. VERY right! With a few bolt-on mods, I'm dyno'd at 331 HP and 308 ft/lbs torque in the most versatile vehicle currently available for 2014. AND...the original military vehicle (since 1941), at least prior to our beloved HUMMER's.

I am still a **big** fan of the H1 and H2. But having owned one for 7 years, the H3 has forever scarred my opinion of itself as respectable vehicle in any category and of being worthy of carrying the name "HUMMER". It is what it is, a modified Chevy with a modified Cavalier engine (plus one cylinder). Good riddance! I hope you guys have far better luck at 70,000 miles (technically 45K when it all started) with your engine vibrations, leaks, rattles, heater blowers, "limp" mode in the middle of no where, climate control unit failures, sunroofs, axles, transfer cases, and so on than I did!

Old 03-03-2014, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by keystone
Well, in December, I spent $4,100 on my POS H3 with a new head and various other issues and then while on a road trip, wasn't sure I was going to make it to my destination due to the violent shaking from the drive-train. When I got there, took it to a very capable and trusted GM shop (not dealership) and was informed that the *entire* drive-train was shot - as in both diffs/axles, all CV joints and transfer case. Oil was leaking from all. Why??? Only ~75K miles and I *babied* this thing and never took it off-road! Was quoted between $8K and $10K.

I traded it on 12/31/13 for a 2014 Jeep Wrangler 4 dr Rubicon. A $44,000 Jeep! WTH?! Was a little apprehensive at first, but now, I ask myself every single day why I didn't go this route sooner. I owned my H3 because I like very boxy militaristic vehicles and when I got my H3 in 2007, Jeep was pure schitt. That 137HP 3.8L engine couldn't get out of its own way. However, now they got it right. VERY right! With a few bolt-on mods, I'm dyno'd at 331 HP and 308 ft/lbs torque in the most versatile vehicle currently available for 2014. AND...the original military vehicle (since 1941), at least prior to our beloved HUMMER's.
Why are you posting this bs? You had your cyl head replaced, then you needed an entire drive train? First off, why didn't you take it back to the shop that replaced your cyl head, and please explain why you needed an "entire new drive train"?

You paid how much for a cheep? Seriously, that is way too much to be paying for any pos that chisler has to offer!

In the meantime, you need to put some miles on that cheep, then when you start paying for repairs, figure out the money you spend monthly over time that you own it, to ride in it.

I paid 16k for my H3, I could almost get 3 for the price you paid for the rubicoon.

Btw, there is a better forum out there for you:

Are Jeep's made from crap?

Last edited by hummerz; 03-03-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Why are you posting this bs? You had your cyl head replaced, then you needed an entire drive train? First off, why didn't you take it back to the shop that replaced your cyl head, and please explain why you needed an "entire new drive train"?

You paid how much for a cheep? Seriously, that is way too much to be paying for any pos that chisler has to offer!

In the meantime, you need to put some miles on that cheep, then when you start paying for repairs, figure out the money you spend monthly over time that you own it, to ride in it.

I paid 16k for my H3, I could almost get 3 for the price you paid for the rubicoon.

Btw, there is a better forum out there for you:

Are Jeep's made from crap?
BWHAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!! Awwwww, did I hurt your feewings?! LMFAO! You paid HOW MUCH for that pile of garbage? Yeah, I remember trying to justify mine too. Because Hummer H3 is the SCHITT braa! It's true, there's NOTHING like a HUMMER... Our YUGO! LMFAO! If I decide to get another one, I'll just go ask your sister. Okay?

Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 PM

BWHAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!! Awwwww, did I hurt your feewings?! LMFAO! You paid HOW MUCH for that pile of garbage? Yeah, I remember trying to justify mine too. Because Hummer H3 is the SCHITT braa! It's true, there's NOTHING like a HUMMER... Our YUGO! LMFAO! If I decide to get another one, I'll just go ask your sister. Okay?
You can't afford to buy another HUMMER, you are deep in debt on that chisler cheep. Are you regretting your decision now?

Old 03-03-2014, 08:23 PM

He says Jeep finally got it right, but if you ask any serious jeep guy and he'll say they had it right with the inline 4.0, Chrysler made a lot of jeep fans mad when they changed to a V configuration. The 4.0 was a strong and reliable engine. I've owned 2 jeeps, both heavily modified and I'd still take my hummer over them.

Also I'd like to ask if you realize you are comparing a top of the line Jeep to a basic Hummer. You're comparing apples to oranges. If you want to argue intelligently, you should argue either a basic wrangler to a basic h3 or a rubicon to an alpha. That'd be like me trashing ford because my 2007 mustang v6 was so cheap and slow compared to my brand new 2014 camaro zl1.

I can also only assume you are on a jeep forum bragging about this current post.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:37 PM

Love the site! Recently bought a lightly used 2006 H3 Luxury Edition, black on black. I've had a lot of unique vehicles in the past, but this one ranks at the top. So far, I've leveled the front and installed longer Bilstein shocks, added: roof racks, front brush guard, lower billet SS chrome slotted grill, K&N filter, built a super heavy-duty rear carry-all rack with 2" receiver. Everything else is stock. I'm having a lot of fun with this truck. The 3.5 is a bit under powered, but everything else more than makes up for that. I will be talking to Hunner about his CAI setup.

Looking forward to hanging out here and learning more about the "Hummer Society"!! Will

[IMG]local://upfiles/5433/AFBE9FED0EDF4AA68220EBF0C6656CB5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5433/F4CF3D1F394F4438ABE34F3B2392FB73.jpg[/IMG]

Also, give your new jeep 8 years and see if you're still saying the same thing about it, because remember the above post you first wrote when you got the H3 "I've had a lot of unique vehicles in the past, but this one ranks at the top."

Old 03-03-2014, 09:07 PM

I wish they would have put the 6.2 Duramax diesel in the H2, it was already on the Silverado 2500 platform, give it the diesel and allison transmission as an option, beast mode extreme!

Old 03-04-2014, 03:35 AM

That keystone guy won't even take the Jeep OffRoad but he had to have a Rubicon to look cool. He will have to look up why it is different than a base Wrangler on Google so he can brag to his buddies.

Hope you feel the same way about your Jeep in 7 years. Bet you don't!

Didn't he also talk about cargo space. Yeah, the Wrangler 4 dr has tons more cargo space than the H3. Get real man.

Last edited by TAINTER; 03-05-2014 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:13 AM

I guess it is true that it takes all kinds. Last year I had to drive a brand new Tour Of Duty Jeep about 100 miles and I was thinking the whole way that their top of the line $40k Jeep was a dog compared to my H3. Even with the hardtop, it was windy and rattled all the time, it felt cheap in construction compared to the H3. Beyond that, the towing capacity sucks compared to an H3, as does the fuel economy. Prior to getting the Hummer,I considered the 4 door Wranglers. Those last two things were the reason I got the Hummer. The Wrangler didn't even have the capacity to tow my boat.

I guess it is good that he now feels the need to defend his very expensive purchase. It just shows very low class to come here and try to talk **** about Hummers. Does he really expect us to envy him? I love my Hummer! I've had a couple of problems in 138k miles. But nothing more than any other vehicle would have. I'd say less really. Plus, the Hummer looks better, rides better, is more luxurious, and is just as capable (if not more) off-road. And to make it even sadder, he has to make up insults of both the Hummer and Hummer drivers so he can feel superior... Like I said, it takes all kinds.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

102K on the odometer on my H3 and nothing more than the routine repairs you would make on a vehicle with that mileage. Ours has been wheeled fairly hard also. No diff problems, no driveline issues, no motor issues...makes you wonder how little maintenance that babied H3 got.

Quick Reply: 2014 hummer?