PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2014 hummer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 01:28 PM

Here is post 3 of 3 for pics:

Attached Thumbnails 2014 hummer?-h3-11.jpg   2014 hummer?-h3-12.jpg   2014 hummer?-h3-13.jpg   2014 hummer?-h3-14.jpg   2014 hummer?-h3-15.jpg  

Old 12-19-2013, 02:44 PM

I think my pics speak for themselves. They clearly do not show signs of abuse; IE caked up mud, suspension mods, etc. All you see is a bone stock 7 year old daily driver truck with premature wear on critical drive train components. Anyone with an inkling of mechanical aptitude can see in my pic that the axle bearing where the LF inner CV joint attaches has wallowed out. So much so that the bearing seal has also enlarged and leaks oil. That entire CV axle assy is loose and wobbles AT the bearing. It is a mystery to me what could cause such a thing. Did I make a huge mistake by using AMS-oil when I did my 50K mile fluid change??? Perhaps. I think the stuff is grossly over-rated! Not to mention grossly over-priced!

The failed firewall grommets that caused the massive leaks from the sunroof: the rubber failed! They were brittle, cracked, split and/or malformed. Not only that, ALL 4 grommets are located in completely inaccessible areas where UV light cannot reach. Please explain that one. I know for fact that leaks with sunroof models is epidemic on H3's. What few people realize, it's not just the front drains, it's the rear as well. Also another little known fact, the main seal around the glass of the sunroof is faulty which allows massive amounts of water to get into the gutter area in the first place. A little water in there is expected on any vehicle, but we're talking minor seepage, not gallons! I have fought this problem since about 2 years in! The stealership could never find anything wrong thus never would make any warranty repairs. Sucks to have you new car and leather smell replaced with moldy stinky putrid rot smell of saturated carpet.

I also think many of the electrical issues were a direct result of water contact. Everything behind the dash is rusted as though it were in a flood and I can assure it never was...well...other than sitting in the rain in traffic! LOL The flood was at my feet!

Old 12-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Default skylight leak

"the main seal around the glass of the sunroof is faulty which allows massive amounts of water to get into the gutter area in the first place. A little water in there is expected on any vehicle, but we're talking minor seepage, not gallons"

my quote tags don't work.

you could look at the rubber condition and the actual closed position., almost flush but they give .020 in spec!.
I rub mine with silicone about 3 tines a year. in a downpour I shove paper towels in the trough and they come out bone dry. it may be a maintenance thing,some leak,some don't. mine dont

Old 12-19-2013, 03:34 PM

Yeah, they have to allow the .020" (or some factor thereof) to allow for heat expansion, especially on black models like mine, otherwise there is an risk of breakage or jamming. That particular rubber has a fairly high durometer compared to the other weather stripping on the vehicle. I've used 3M silicone spray regularly on all the weather stripping since the beginning. One of my fellow engineers used to work for 3M and I can attest that it is a superior product.

Last edited by keystone; 12-19-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:53 PM

the .o2 is verticle,like .o2 high in front,lo in rear .or v/v. its hard to see in the book drawing but it must need to be close to that if they show it that way if its positioned properly it is really a good fit and has to leak some, (but mine don't) !
btw I use heavy silicone grease not spray.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:01 PM

I'd say yours doesn't leak due to silicone grease. That's a smart choice. I'll give that a try. I haven't opted for that just because it can be messy and I don't want to risk having it blow in and get on the headliner or on my clothes. I've been very tempted to use silicone SEALANT! LOL!

Old 12-19-2013, 04:06 PM

heavy,thick, but I rub it on with a cloth ,partly to clean the metal and rubber. not enuf to be messy. it keeps rubber soft. that's key.
gotta run..

Old 12-19-2013, 05:54 PM

Here's my take on the H3 in general. I love it. Despite all it's ugly known common flaws, it's still hard to beat. It's unfortunate that it never had a chance to prove itself in the market before the libs killed it. Think about it logically (as us engineers often do). Let's compare the H3 to its closest competition: Jeep Wrangler, Toyota FJ. Granted, the H3's list price was a good bit higher, but you got so much more bang for the buck and a total timeless one-off unique design too boot (not uncommon to the other two comparisons to be fair).

Try to find a Jeep or Toyota with leather or even vinyl. Yes they are available but extremely hard to find and get and a total ripoff of a markup! Who wants cloth in an off-road vehicle where the seats are likely going to get exposed to wet or mud? Yes, the base H3 comes with cloth option, but most models come in leather.

What about interior noise level? Ride quality? Jeep and Toyota aren't even in the same category. Hummer is like a Cadillac. Pure luxury.

On-board tech: The Hummer is LOADED. Not so much stuff the average person sees and uses like MP3, on-board info computer, etc. as much as the stuff behind the scenes. The H3 was a technical marvel in its time when compared to its mid-size competition. But, how many Jeeps or Toyota's have factory stereos that sound as amazing or have GPS touch screen nav? Yes perhaps GPS, but again, in a $45K to $50k package that would make one's **** area feel a bit sore post purchase.

So you see, purely from a logical sense, if you have a good late model H3 that is not prone to these issues that you can purchase for $20K to $25K, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to beat it dollar for dollar. And hands down, nothing comes close in the styling arena.

I place 100% of the demise of Hummer squarely on Obama and left wing hysteria. What few people (outside of us) realize is that Hummer, with an H3, had already developed a hybrid that got 100MPG city that would eat a Prius for a snack and fart it out and use the gas to go another 50 miles. Not only that, they had developed a diesel model for the H3 and there were talks of the same for the H2 if it were to have survived, though it was dying and was on the chopping block in '09. I might still look at an '09 H2, but the jury's still out. I have major issues with GM on many levels. If nothing else, I would not buy one just on principal, but I'd only be cheating myself.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:02 AM

I can honestly say... Almost EVER type of vehicle has a lemon or two. They are mass produced, usually by a person who just went out and got high and had a few beer behind the union hall during their lunch break. (it's true)

I do remember an axle bearing going out on one of my 06's as well. It was under warranty (25K on it) and it was fixed free of charge. My 08 was one of those lemons... But mine was because of prior abuse. (I think) I haven't had ANY issues with my 2010 so far and it's lifed with 33" Mud Terrains on it. It runs perfect and rides better that any of my other Hummers. Completely satisfied with it. (so far)

The Dodge Ram in 94 and 95 had transmission issues,(premature failures) by 96 they had fixed the issues.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee already has a recall on it.

2013 Ford Escape has over a half a dozen recalls on it already.

2013 Hyundai recalls on rear axles (premature failures)

The list goes on and on.

For the most part the Hummer H3 has been a great vehicle. The only issue it had per Motortrend was the lack of performance, (which we can all agree it's lacking) and the fact it didn't get the MPG's as advertised.

I came to the Hummer Familly when looking for a 4 door Jeep wrangler for the wife. We already had a beautiful 2 door Rubicon. She was tired of the kids jumping over the front seat to get in the back.
Needless to say Jeep are very pround of the Wranglers... $25,000 for a Wrangler Unlimited with 40K on it. (back in 2009) I asked my wife why she wanted the Wrangler Unlimited so bad, and she said, "Because the look like the Hummers." I said well lets just go look at the Hummers then. Bought a 2006 with only 23K on it for $21,000. Two days later I traded my Trans Am in for another 2006 for $19K with only 35K on it. Both still under warranty and had the GM certified warranty on them as well.
The Jeep is a great vehicle, but the only thing it can do better than the Hummer H3 is shedding its doors and roof, which is a pain the @$$ to do. (Our Rubicon had hard and soft top) Pretty much everything else the Hummer is just as good at. Love the tight turns and the capability to go most any where!!!

Old 01-24-2014, 05:07 AM

I bought my 06 base H3 in 2009 with 30,000 miles on it, it now has 62,000, I have had minimal issues with mine. I did have the drainage problem a few years ago, I was able to clear the drainage line and have not had an issue since. My blower motor crapped out this morning, I would have to say that is the first mechanical problem I have had with mine so overall I am very happy with it.

Sadly I think I am going to have to trade it in after the winter, just had a baby and the rear doors are just not designed for baby seats, its kind of a hassle to get my son in and out because of the shape of the doors.

But I have had a blast with mine, "Snowpocolips" in DC a few years ago was a free for all winter playground for me, had a great time driving through 14" deep snow and pulling cops out of snowbanks, they let me pretty much do whatever I wanted in my part of town for a few days.

Quick Reply: 2014 hummer?