Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   2008 H3 Navigation CD error (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/2008-h3-navigation-cd-error-24387/)

tuffenuff 06-13-2011 04:34 PM

2008 H3 Navigation CD error

Hiya,

New to the forum. Just traded in 8yrs. old Infiniti G coupe and got HUMMER h3!
Loving it!
I bought a used one and it came with the navigation package. It worked just
fine in 2days but now I am getting "CD ERROR" every time I try to switch to NAV mode from CD(music) mode. I opened the face plate of navigation and eject/re-insert navigation DVD and it worked fine for a day but it started to give me a "CD error" message again. I checked out the navigation DVD whether there is a scratch or something on it's surface but it looked just fine.

Is there any way to fix this problem? Battery re-set? I have a 72 months bumper to bumper warranty but just want to know if there's any way to fix it at home.

Thanks in advance.

jewjenk 06-13-2011 05:28 PM

Sounds like standard stuff. What? Its a CD player, been in the car since 2008. Try getting a CD Player cleaner and run it a couple of times, the laser may be dirty. Then also your disk may have LASER ROT, Cd's do not last a lifetime! You may have to get a new cd, if you do then get an upgraded one for the current year. Since it's still under warranty, take it to the dealer to make sure that the player has not gone bad, although I doubt it. Once you play around with the player and then take it in, if there is evidence that you tampered with it, then that part of the warranty could be voided.

airborne227 06-13-2011 06:37 PM

I would disconnect the negative battery cable for at least 10 mins to "reset" the system to see what happens.

tuffenuff 06-14-2011 11:08 AM

Thanks guys! I will definitely try CD cleaning/battery reset and see how it works. Again, thanks for your input!!

Songman 06-16-2011 05:12 PM

I couldn't get the face to open to release the Nav DVD. Could someone refresh my memory on how to open it? I tried holding the eject button as I had read somewhere but that didn't do it. Also, is there anywhere to get a better deal on a Nav DVD than the $300 that GM wants?

AlphaTitus 06-16-2011 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Songman (Post 252063)
I couldn't get the face to open to release the Nav DVD. Could someone refresh my memory on how to open it? I tried holding the eject button as I had read somewhere but that didn't do it. Also, is there anywhere to get a better deal on a Nav DVD than the $300 that GM wants?

It takes about 30 seconds to open, just hold it in the whole time, and I looked everywhere and couldn't find the most recent nav disk anywhere except for the gm site, and from what I hear it's a dual layered dvd so trying to burn it is supposedly pretty tough, you can always find an older one on ebay too.

tuffenuff 06-21-2011 11:54 AM

Update :
I had the whole nav unit replaced by dealer but still getting a same error. LOL
I will try another nav DVD and let you guys know how it worked.

tuffenuff 06-22-2011 01:52 PM

FIXED!! Even after the full replacement of NAV unit from GM, I was still getting "CD error" message from navigation screen when I try to launch navigator. So I tried to burn a copy of the original DVD by following the method from Cadillac forum. It worked!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backup any GM NAV DISC
First of all, this is not to encourage any type of piracy, I am just trying to pass on information that I found on how to backup your ORIGINAL GM Nav disc, this works on all versions to date including the 2010 #20855830. I have learned the hard way not to use an original disc for the day to day use at $200.00 plus shipping for a replacement. Backups work as good as the original, and if your kids happen to get a hold of it and scratch it up then it's no problem to make a new one. In Canada (not sure about the USA) it is perfectly legal to make a backup copy of a disc that you already own. There may be other ways, but this is how I do it.

1 - Download and install a program called IMGBURN (Freeware just google)
2 - Open ImgBurn and select "Create image file from disc"
3 - Leave all the setting at the default. It will then create an ISO file of the disc. Save it on your PC, it will be big, over 8 GIGS.
4 - You will need a regular Dual Layer DVD burner and a Verbatim DL + R blank disc (don't bother trying any other brand, trust me)
5 - Open up ImgBurn program click "Write image file to disc". Select your saved ISO file you created earlier, leave all settings at default.
6 - Put in your blank Verbatim DL+R (Dual layer) disc. And then click the disc icon at the bottom of the ImgBurn screen. Let it do it's magic. Depending on burn speed it may take an hour to write and verify the disc.
7 - test it out on your Nav unit. If you see the disc read error message, try to burn another one and verify you have used the correct disc type.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by McLovin; 04-07-10 at 11:02 AM.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Songman 06-23-2011 02:46 AM

Now if we only knew someone with a 2010 version of the disc and a dual layer burner!

foxincalgary 09-28-2015 02:53 PM

CD Error on Navigation

I too have this problem that is unresolved. I have an H3T Alpha 2009. Navigation worked fine when I bought it (used). Navigation was fine for about a year with no problems. Then it came up with CD error once every five or six times of starting vehicle. Over time Navigation will only display CD Error. I took it to a mechanic (for other routine work), they suggested putting in a new deck (so I did, same type and I have the old one). Original Navigation cd looked ok. The new deck worked just fine....for about a month then it went back to CD Error. I finally took it to GM and they said that it probably was the Navigation Disc. I have since replaced that ($209 later). I followed the step by step instructions for the disc. My Navigation system still comes up with CD Error. So in short I have replaced the entire deck and replaced the Navigation Disc and after spending roughly close to 1k, I am no further ahead. Any help you guys (gals) may have would be greatly appreciated. I will also try the deck cleaner and let you know if that resolves it because other than that I have tried everything I can think of!