PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 H3 alignment after TB lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 01:58 PM
Default An update from Saturday...with a little bit of a rant

Showed up to my scheduled appointment 30mins early (appt. was at 1pm), explained that I needed the camber adjusted to 0.00 degrees; they didn't pull the truck in until 2pm! I waited for a while and they finally called me to the service desk around 5pm. (Now this was just for a tire rotation and adjustment to the alignment as the wheels weren't sitting vertical and slight pull to the right.)

The service manager says they are unable to do the alignment due to both front upper ball joints being bad. He said in his exact words "it's a dealer only part and if you order it, we can install it for 467 dollars. Here's your keys, have a nice day!" I was livid at this point! Especially since they just aligned it a month ago with no problems and had them replace the passenger side tie-rod end. I handed him the keys and told him to bring the truck back into the garage and place it on the lift and show me that the ball joints are bad. A mechanic who didn't do the work checked while I was standing there and could find no problem; He did the basic test of grabbing the top and bottom and wiggling the wheel to check for movement, he also used a crowbar to check too and no movement. Waited 30min until the alignment guy showed back up from a break. He insisted that the ball joints are bad and movement would be seen if standing under the truck or placing hand on the joint while tire was wiggled; he also said it would not pass state inspection in May. He then said that the service manager explained things to me wrong; mechanic says that he could not aligned it to the specification that I asked for for the camber. He had me wait another hour while he tried to get it to the correct specification and came back with 2 alignment sheets (7hrs total had elapsed with me waiting).

Mechanic explained that he was able to get the passenger side as close to 0.00 as he could but driver side caster sleeve (with rubber bushings inside) bolts were seized up and prevented him from fully adjusting the drivers side; he managed to get the drivers side down to about -0.30 from a -0.60. He said if I can get the bolts freed up then he can most likely get it close to 0.00 as well on the drivers side. He explained the bolts as being on the upper control arm and said 1 bolt is for camber and the other is for caster, and if I could get even one of them freed up he could still adjust caster and camber.

The only reason I had them do the alignment work was due to them giving me the lowest price on the Mickey MTZ's and I wanted to avoid going to multiple places. The alignment is warranted for 3mos as well. After January, the will never do work on my truck again! Attached are the alignment sheets showing the caster way off on the front drivers side as well as the camber. He said that it will cause no tire wear but the problem I have now is the steering wheel wants to pull slightly left now and slowing down at highway speeds now results in front end vibration!

Attached Thumbnails 2007 H3 alignment after TB lift-20141117_091841.jpg   2007 H3 alignment after TB lift-20141117_091900.jpg