PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2006 H3: Service Stab Sys, Traction Failed, Reduced Power.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 02:19 PM

Last night driving home it was -5F and then Hummer seemed fine. Then suddenly on the highway it started losing power drastically. Looking down at the dash it had the check engine light, traction control light, and said, “stability system failure. Reduced power” just like this video (
). I hobbled into a gas station and shut it off for a bit then started it again. Just like before it had a rough burbling idle so I shut it off and popped the hood.

I checked the oil because the last time I got the oil changed it was suspiciously low but it was fine. Then looked for anything strange but again nothing. Then went into the station to get a warm coffee. When I returned I started it again and it was running smooth. All lights and messages were off with the exception of the engine light so I drove on home. Starting it and driving to work this morning was also without incident.

Looking online there seems to be a huge pile of reasons for that message. Maybe I could just chalk it up to the extreme temperatures? What I don’t understand is what the heck the stability system has to do with the engine’s power?? Why would it reduce the power? Dangerous thing to happen on the highway in extreme conditions.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ChadB
Last night driving home it was -5F and then Hummer seemed fine. Then suddenly on the highway it started losing power drastically. Looking down at the dash it had the check engine light, traction control light, and said, “stability system failure. Reduced power” just like this video (Hummer H3 stability system failure - YouTube). I hobbled into a gas station and shut it off for a bit then started it again. Just like before it had a rough burbling idle so I shut it off and popped the hood.

I checked the oil because the last time I got the oil changed it was suspiciously low but it was fine. Then looked for anything strange but again nothing. Then went into the station to get a warm coffee. When I returned I started it again and it was running smooth. All lights and messages were off with the exception of the engine light so I drove on home. Starting it and driving to work this morning was also without incident.

Looking online there seems to be a huge pile of reasons for that message. Maybe I could just chalk it up to the extreme temperatures? What I don’t understand is what the heck the stability system has to do with the engine’s power?? Why would it reduce the power? Dangerous thing to happen on the highway in extreme conditions.
You had a Check Engine Light.... get the code(s) THEN post your question in a BRAND NEW THREAD. Yes, there are something like 30 - 40 combinations of potential issues that can cause these symptoms, so without the code(s) to narrow it down, it is a waste of finger exercise to discuss all the possibilities.

This thread will now be locked as the full moon has caused certain newbs to ignore forum rules and just keep digging up old this old crappy azzed thread.

In closing, the FIRST thing to be done if you have not already (and has been beaten like a glue factory horse) is to cut off the POS OEM battery terminal connectors and replace them with a quality aftermarket set of your choosing, like Stingers. Cold amplifies the absolute junk that the OEM battery terminal connectors are, and voltage variations read by the PCM/ECM because of those pieces of chit will can cause all of this stuff an more.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 01-08-2015 at 02:36 PM.