PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

'09 H3x - 4w high lock binding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:04 AM
Default '09 H3x - 4w high lock binding?

Thinking I may have TC issue. When going into 4w HIGH LOCK, front wheel is 'wratcheting' (rotate, skid, rotate, skid, etc), and I hear a load whine. This is at slow speed..won't go over about 25. I should be able to drive at highway speed per spec. Truck is not controllable with front wheels starting and stopping. Sounds like TC is about to come apart. Is it not engaging all the way?. Dealer is saying its fine?!?!. Ford dealer, but consulted with GM supposedly. Its basically unusuable in 4w HIGH LOCK. Any thoughts? Didn't see this specific problem in threads..so I appologize if I missed it. Anyone experience this? Thanks SO MUCH in advance!

Old 02-22-2014, 08:17 AM

on snow and really wet roads,mud and grass. NEVER ON DRY ROADS.
so is 4 hi normal ok? then 4 hi lock in the grass? or snow?

not over 25? in hi?. sounds like lo. that would whine and be at 5000 rpm!

Old 02-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

If you are at highway speed you should not be in 4 hi lock anyway. That's why the 3 has StabiliTrack.

The ONLY time I high lock is off the pavement or if there is very deep of fresh snow and obviously you're not going to be drive 60MPH in 12-18" of snow.

If what you are describing is happening on dry pavement, then that would be pretty normal as lock mode is for loose traction.

Can you take it to a former hummer dealer where one of the mechanics had some experience with H3s?

Old 02-22-2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
on snow and really wet roads,mud and grass. NEVER ON DRY ROADS.
so is 4 hi normal ok? then 4 hi lock in the grass? or snow?

not over 25? in hi?. sounds like lo. that would whine and be at 5000 rpm!
I have had other 4wd, and know not on dry roads, but for testing purposes, truck is out of control at 25. And it is HI not Lo. Works perfect in hi normal, and I think 4 lo. I tried in snow, and front wheels just skid..as they try to rotate..

Old 02-22-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
If you are at highway speed you should not be in 4 hi lock anyway. That's why the 3 has StabiliTrack.

The ONLY time I high lock is off the pavement or if there is very deep of fresh snow and obviously you're not going to be drive 60MPH in 12-18" of snow.

If what you are describing is happening on dry pavement, then that would be pretty normal as lock mode is for loose traction.

Can you take it to a former hummer dealer where one of the mechanics had some experience with H3s?
Thank you for reply. You can step on the gas..and it binds so badly that it won't go over 30 as mentioned. My understanding is that hi lock should take me up to highway speed if I need to. I should be able to drive on 'slick' highway and not have front wheels fail to continue rotating..? I read mention of actuator motor, and shift fork..is it possible that not engaging all the way? Thanks again..

Old 03-11-2014, 04:23 PM

To follow-up, I sent truck to my transmission guy. Turns out, the rear differential was apparently changed out to 4:11 gears. Front is still 4:56. Hence the problem when all four are locked. Factory is supposed to be 4:56?? Wondering if I should make front 4:11? Better gas mileage you think, or doesn't really matter?? Thanks again...

Old 03-11-2014, 06:29 PM

??????
this is getting funny, leave me out!!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Poconosteve
To follow-up, I sent truck to my transmission guy. Turns out, the rear differential was apparently changed out to 4:11 gears. Front is still 4:56. Hence the problem when all four are locked. Factory is supposed to be 4:56?? Wondering if I should make front 4:11? Better gas mileage you think, or doesn't really matter?? Thanks again...
First, learn how to post your gear ratio: 4.56:1 and 4.11:1

Your post looks like Biblescripts are included.

If you understand gear ratios, you will know that the lower gear ratio can indeed increase fuel economy.

Now, why would you have 2 different gear ratios in a full time 4wd?

Old 03-12-2014, 03:37 AM

Looks like the previous owner may have blown the rear diff and used an Alpha rear diff (4:10 ratio) replacing the I5 rear diff (4:56 ratio). I have read about it before but the owner just disconnected the front drive shaft and ran in 4HI Lock until they could replace the front gear set with a matching 4:10.

Regardless of the packages installed ALL;
V8s came with 4:10s
I5s came with 4:45s
From the factory

Old 03-12-2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
First, learn how to post your gear ratio: 4.56:1 and 4.11:1

Your post looks like Biblescripts are included.

If you understand gear ratios, you will know that the lower gear ratio can indeed increase fuel economy.

Now, why would you have 2 different gear ratios in a full time 4wd?
No kidding. I just stated that both differentials are different. And I realize that I would have an increase in fuel economy with "4.11:1". I am wondering if anyone else ever changed out their gears for this reason, and if so, what was the difference in gas mileage??

Quick Reply: '09 H3x - 4w high lock binding?