Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H3 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/)
-   -   09 Front Caliper Rebuild (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/09-front-caliper-rebuild-43686/)

sturm 09-14-2020 01:18 PM

09 Front Caliper Rebuild

Hello good people!
I'm hoping one of you wise and experienced mfers* can help me find some information:
My calipers feel like I may need to swap in some new pistons and/or piston seals depending on what I find, but there's one thing I can't determine after exhaustive internet searches. Are the front calipers true 2-piece units, and if so, does anyone have photos or an exploded diagram of them split apart? The only rebuild parts I can find are the seals, pistons, bleeder valves, etc; no mention of any bridge seals, or the like. I assumed they were 2-piece due to the four bolts that seem to hold them together.
It goes without saying I appreciate any and all help, Tainter… Doc…

*truly a term of endearment

TAINTER 09-14-2020 01:25 PM

Never rebuilt an H3/H3T caliper for one simple reason. I can purchase brand new ACDelco calipers, why rebuild? :confused:

sturm 09-14-2020 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER (Post 377547)
Never rebuilt an H3/H3T caliper for one simple reason. I can purchase brand new ACDelco calipers, why rebuild? :confused:

Fair enough…
But if I'm being honest, I'm that idiot who would buy the exact part # and in this case, the OE (red) calipers front and rear are about 3x the cost of the standard ones.
Ridiculous?

Tell me about it.

Doc Olds 09-14-2020 02:02 PM

I have rebuilt calipers for select vintage motorcycles and cars where you cannot get an OEM replacement. I would just buy the ACDelco unit for the H3. Probably RockAuto or via quick Ebay check.

I can add I never took an H3 Caliper apart too.

650Hawk 09-14-2020 02:18 PM

I'd buy a replacement, and get some Caliper paint to paint them red.

sturm 09-14-2020 03:40 PM

Probably what will end up happening… Just reconciling my OCD.

Thanks for the input folks!

hummerz 09-14-2020 04:46 PM

Caliper rebuild is an easy diy, as long as you have the proper tools and cleaning equipment, after that you still need the proper replacement parts to rebuild. I gave up on that many, many, years ago. Cheaper/less time consuming to buy the new calipers, no matter how they are branded and just swap. :cool:

sturm 09-14-2020 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz (Post 377562)
Caliper rebuild is an easy diy, as long as you have the proper tools and cleaning equipment, after that you still need the proper replacement parts to rebuild. I gave up on that many, many, years ago. Cheaper/less time consuming to buy the new calipers, no matter how they are branded and just swap. :cool:

A reason to buy more tools… :D
Ha, no I hear what you're saying man!