PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 H3 Shakes on highway at 65+ mph, normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Default 07 H3 Shakes on highway at 65+ mph, normal?

Hi, Hummer newbie here, sorry in advance for what is probably a dumb question.

We just bought a 2007 H3 with 57k miles. Very pleased with it except we notice that it shimmies/shakes a little once we get it above 65 mph or so. The tires are Good Year Wranglers and look to have about 1/2 of their life left. Is this a common characteristic of the H3's drive at higher speeds? Or should I complain to the dealer that we want this looked at / fixed? We just picked it up today and have no recent experience with 4 wheel drives, so not sure what to think. Thanks for any help and/or opinions.

Mark

Old 06-25-2011, 07:41 PM

That shouldn't be happening, I have 35" mud tires and it rides like a luxury vehicle on the freeway.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:13 AM

Definitely not normal. Of the many used vehicles i've purchased I don't think the previous owner or dealership have maintained the tires or alignment in who knows how long before I purchased it. Try a balance and rotation of the, and possibly an alignment. There's another thread within the last week about a similar issue, possibly a bent drive shaft. But in my experience the previous owner probably let some maintenance slide well before you purchased it and the dealership probably didn't do much. I had bad tires, alignment, and a bad rear shock at 38k when I bought mine.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:06 AM

Thank you for the replies. If it is something as simple as a balance and/or alignment, should the dealer (Carmax) take care of this for free or am I on my own? I just bought it Saturday (June 25th), so I have until Thursday to back out of the deal with no penalty. Not sure I'd back out just for this issue, but it would be nice if they'd take care of me!

Mark

Old 06-26-2011, 06:31 AM

Those Wrangler RT/S tires are absolute crap also so dont rule those out. Nice looking truck.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:35 AM

Widespread, thanks for the comment. I had read that the stock Wranglers weren't the best of tires, but I was hoping to get a year or so out of them before replacing them.

Mark

Old 06-26-2011, 09:26 AM

Welcome! Hopefully it's something minor like getting your tires balanced or replaced. Either way, I would let the dealership fix it up for you...keep taking it back until it's to your liking! Also, I'm not really sure if you know what you have purchased. You got your hands on a 07 Tactical Edition and there was only 1,000 made nationwide...so congrats! Here's you more info. And, it's a good looking truck!07 H3 Shakes on highway at 65+ mph, normal?-dscn3068.jpg

Old 06-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Banned

i was treated great by carmax,,my guess is they make good money,,,can afford it. when i went back for ANYTHING i got it back with a full tank!!!
i felt the price was good as any

Old 06-26-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer
Those Wrangler RT/S tires are absolute crap also so dont rule those out. Nice looking truck.
They may not be the best for off-road use, but for gas mileage and smoothness - they're hard to beat. This problem is not because of the brand/size/style of tires.

Originally Posted by amyandmark3
Thank you for the replies. If it is something as simple as a balance and/or alignment, should the dealer (Carmax) take care of this for free or am I on my own?
w/ 57k miles they probably just replaced them and the balance is off. This would be harder to diagnose if they weren't stock wheels and tires which would bring more variables in. Since Carmax likely did the balance incorrectly, they should absolutely fix this - with stock wheels and tires you shouldn't have any vibrations at any speed caused by the wheels/tires.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 AM

my stealer is saying that my h3 has problem with the front drive shaft ..Will see after Tuesday if that fixes my viberation.

Quick Reply: 07 H3 Shakes on highway at 65+ mph, normal?