PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 H3 Passlock Security Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by telemike
I jsut had PCMofNC turn off the ignition disable when programming my PCM. Now if I get an ignition cylinder failure I am not stuck for 10 minutes.
Not a good idea to be sharing that info for the whole world to see. Now your rig is open to an easy theft.
Just pop the cylinder and start with a screwdriver..
That's part of the theft deterrent system that also lowers your insurance rate.
Not recommended considering it's a cheap and easy fix, that can be properly repaired in under an hour.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:36 PM

I am happy to hear that replacing of the ignition cylinder has worked for you guys. To my knowledge the ignition cylinder only has a magnet on it. The ignition lock housing will read the rotation of the magnet on the ignition lock, in what is referred to as a "Hall effect sensor". The security system is based on the timing of the magnet rotating in a correct timing sequence. It will read the rotation of the magnet as the key cylinder turns. Therefore it is my belief that the lock housing is what should be replaced to resolve the issue.

What i would like to know what are you cleaning (the little plug
that goes into the lock housing?) to resolve your issue: confused:

Old 01-31-2014, 05:37 AM

The switch is available with the cylinder housing only. I removed the switch from the vehicle, and removed the switch from the new housing and installed the switch only.

I could have just cleaned the connector and contacts inside the old switch and it would have worked, however the new part was only 35 bucks, so I replaced the switch and cleaned the plug to the switch, and used dielectric grease before plugging back in.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:56 AM

anyone interested in doing this

use this site for information on removing the knee bolster and steering column trim.

http://www.automx.co.za/htdocs/manua...rm_2008119.pdf

then you have access to clean the connector and contacts on the switch

If replacing the switch:

remove the connector, 2 screws, and turn igntion key to removed the switch.

You need to turn the new cylinder housing also to remove the new switch from the new housing.

I picked it up on amazon for 35bucks shipped over a year ago..
Acdelco D1403G, 2007 / auto trans.

Last edited by hummerz; 01-31-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:09 AM

Oh almost forgot, if replacing the switch, need 30min learn procedure:

30 Minute Learn Procedure
1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start.

3. Observe the SECURITY telltale; after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes; the
vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:22 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hummerz
The switch is available with the cylinder housing only. I removed the switch from the vehicle, and removed the switch from the new housing and installed the switch only.

I could have just cleaned the connector and contacts inside the old switch and it would have worked, however the new part was only 35 bucks, so I replaced the switch and cleaned the plug to the switch, and used dielectric grease before plugging back in.

Nicely Done

Old 02-01-2014, 05:29 PM

Thanks. I like the fact that my rig is a tough steal, however when the switch was acting up, (security lockout), it became a problem! I was late and somewhat embarrased on a few occasions. Sitting there waiting 10mins, for my H3 to start and on occasions, explaining to others the situation. I almost fealt like others thought, I stole the H3. Much better now..

Old 02-11-2014, 01:49 PM

PCM of NC with a re-tune is the best fix for your dollar. I did the "cheap fix" listed above and it did not last but a month. Bets part is it didn't lower my insurance rates. Now when the nasty red security light flashes even after the cylinder change out, I just drive away.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by rascole
PCM of NC with a re-tune is the best fix for your dollar. I did the "cheap fix" listed above and it did not last but a month. Bets part is it didn't lower my insurance rates. Now when the nasty red security light flashes even after the cylinder change out, I just drive away.
No need to change the cylinder! The problem lies at the connection to the switch (black part at the base of the cylinder housing). It is important to clean the connector contacts and use a dielectric grease to seal. Replacing the switch only, guarantees a clean connection at the switch, however you still need to clean the contacts on the connector that goes to the switch.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:43 AM

all of that was done trust me. but after several failed attempts the PCM mod was a headache cure.

Quick Reply: 06 H3 Passlock Security Light