PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Locate vehicle's trailer harness connector"

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:03 PM
Default "Locate vehicle's trailer harness connector"

Hello everyone!

First I want to say that this is a great forum!!! You guys really know your stuff and I have learned a great deal and been able to DO a great deal from the info I've found here. I bought a 2007 H3 this past Jan. and let me tell you I absolutely LOVE the truck as it's obvious you all do too. I always wanted a hummer ever since the H1's came out when I was growing up....and well I couldn't swing the H1 or even 2 but I sure to enjoy the small yet aggressive package of the H3.

I recently ordered and installed a trailer hitch on my truck, the draw-tite model that sticks out just beneath the bumper. I just received the wiring harness for my trailer lighting and the directions read as follows:

"Locate the tow vehicles trailer harness connector. This harness is located under the vehicle, behind the bumper, on the driver's side of the vehicle"

It has a nice picture.....not of the underside of a hummer (looks like a silverado) but I for the life of me can not locate this harness connector. I thought if anyone could get me going in the right direction it would be someone on these boards! HELP!!!! LOL

The trailer wiring harness I ordered is a "Tow Ready T One Connector" part#118384 for Chevrolet vehicles and includes in the list amoung many other trucks 2006-Current Hummer H3 w/7way. So what am I missing or doing wrong here? From the directions it seems like things just plug into an existing harness....but I'll be damned if I can find it at the moment. Anyone else go through this struggle? Any help would be greatly apprecaited. Thanks!

Old 03-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Default RE: "Locate vehicle's trailer harness connector"

I'm not sure..but I seem to remember somebody else long ago needing the same info...Let's see, I think my first step will be to do a SEARCH..

If you open the rear hatch (door?) and look down between the rear of the truck and the bumper, you'll see a cable harness wrapped in a corragated black plastic sheath. The sheath has a split in it and the trailer wiring is tucked inside ready to be pulled out. That's the way it is on my Lux model anyway.
Presto... https://www.hummerforums.com/m_8239/tm.htm

Old 03-30-2007, 12:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

I'm not sure..but I seem to remember somebody else long ago needing the same info...Let's see, I think my first step will be to do a SEARCH..

If you open the rear hatch (door?) and look down between the rear of the truck and the bumper, you'll see a cable harness wrapped in a corragated black plastic sheath. The sheath has a split in it and the trailer wiring is tucked inside ready to be pulled out. That's the way it is on my Lux model anyway.
Presto... https://www.hummerforums.com/m_8239/tm.htm
Dennis has this thing about the forum search function. He uses it more than google.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:04 AM

Apparently he didn't use It to search the origins of my Name... LoL!!!!

Old 03-30-2007, 01:11 AM

Sorry..I didn't think you were a dude (tear in eye and all that stuff)...Could've sworn you mentioned something about a husband...What to hell was I to think with a name like Yvon..which happens to be a very lovely name by the way...I pictured this Ukrainian looking chick with heavy eye brows, wearing a red flanel shirt and tight Jeans with a frayed hole on one of your butt cheeks, industy cowboy boots..

Old 03-30-2007, 02:57 AM

Sounds like you've got some kind of kinky euro fantasy running around in your head. he-he

Did he say butt cheeks to a dude? []

Old 03-30-2007, 03:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Sorry..I didn't think you were a dude (tear in eye and all that stuff)...Could've sworn you mentioned something about a husband...What to hell was I to think with a name like Yvon..which happens to be a very lovely name by the way...I pictured this Ukrainian looking chick with heavy eye brows, wearing a red flanel shirt and tight Jeans with a frayed hole on one of your butt cheeks, industy cowboy boots..

Old 03-30-2007, 10:05 AM

Hey D thanks for the link. I did use the search tool prior to posting as I always do. I have acutally been a mod on a few message boards and trust me if anyone knows anything about seeing repetitive posts and simple answers to questions that have easily been beat to death it's me. If the link you provided hits my topic I apoligize....we must have used different search terms because I made a few searchs prior to posting. Thanks for the help though I REALLY apprecaite it. This is a great place, I look forward to spending more time here! I'm going to read through the post you linked and see if I can locate this damn harness. Wish me luck!

Old 03-30-2007, 12:07 PM

Ok....so if I have this right I can't use the T One Connector that I purchased and just plug it into an existing harness? Sounds like there is no 7 way connector (from thel linked post) to plug the T Connector into...4 wires in the harness between the back of the truck and the bumper in a bundle that needs to be pulled out and spliced into? That's frustrating...not that it won't work fine but I was trying to do this without splicing wires, etc for a better worry free...weather tight connection.

Why would the trailering wiring harness I bought come with this 7 way connector to plug into an existing harness and list 2006 - Current Hummer H3 when it's four wires that need to be spliced into? I'm SOOOO confused *shakes head* hahahaha. Guess I should call the manufacturer and tell them about this little discrepancy? What do you guys think???? Instructions say it can be used with a truck with factory trailer wiring (hitch mounted) or with a truck without factory trailer wiring..... hmmmmmm What am I missing here?

Old 04-03-2007, 03:39 PM

JUST FOR FUTURE PURPOSES OF HAVING A COMPLETE POST FOR FUTURE POSTERS/SEARCHERS....

If your H3 came with the tow package you can use a T One connector and plug it b/w your 7-way plug and the vehicles trailer wiring harness as found in the directions for my connector/wiring that I purchased. If your vehicle DID NOT come with a tow package aka. hitch wiring and trailer hitch then you will need to utilize the "bluntly cut wires" found by opening your tailgate and looking down between the bumper and your truck body...you will see a heat shielded harness of wires...in there are the 4 wires you need.

To make a long story short I paid $30 for my trailer wiring for the H3 thinking I could use the plug in connector...can't happen if you rig did not come from the factory with a hitch installed. You will have to splice the wiring together instead of using a plug in system. Could've paid $10 for this type of splice in 4 prong connector...no biggie though. You live and you learn.

To Recap (and this CAN BE FOUND IN THE OWNERS MANUAL HAHAHA):
H3 WITH trailer package (well your rig is wired why even bother unless you want a 7-way and 4-way connector), you CAN USE a plug in style trailer wiring harness...will give you the use of a 7-way plug for trailering with trailer brakes and a 4-way for trailering without trailer brakes.
H3 WITHOUT trailer package, you CAN NOT use a plug in style connector and MUST SPLICE your trailer wiring harness into the 4 "BLUNTLY CUT" wires in the rear harness.

Just wanted to complete this thread...I have everything wired now and good to go. Thanks for the help!