PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Transmission cooler, best type and place to put it

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 05:38 PM

Not my picture or my Vehicle but shows the size difference

You can get an idea how much I moved the brackets on the ps cooler
I installed the true cool 40k and I used the transmission cooler in my Be Cool radiator also. I personally think that’s the right way to do but I can’t say that I would do it that way again. I had to cut the brackets off the power steering cooler and then I welded them back on after moving them over 1” to 1 1/2” I don’t remember but I can check for you. 1 thing I will say is that after it was done I went to put the hood on and it was sitting on the bracket on the passenger side of the cooler. I had to cut it off and flip it around to get the hood to fit. I run 150 degree temps on 112 degree days, just driving not towing. I will see if I can find pictures of the power steering cooler. It’s a really nice upgrade.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:51 PM

you can probably substitute the OEM trans cooler for the tiny power steering one if you can find a place for it maybe in the space under the new tranny cooler with some ingenuity.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
you can probably substitute the OEM trans cooler for the tiny power steering one if you can find a place for it maybe in the space under the new tranny cooler with some ingenuity.
Trans cooler lines are like 3/8 not 1/4 and the tubes are larger in the cooler and you still need to make brackets for it also. When you cut the upper bracket off the ps cooler it just slides over and you can see how much to move because it lines up with the inside edge and you have about a 1/4 or 5/16 of area to tac and then I cut a triangle piece of 16ga that ties it back into the big bracket on the back. Hard to explain but you can weld it on in a few minutes.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:41 PM

I found a better picture of my cooler and if you look thru it on top of cooler you can how I lined up the outside edge with inside edge of the opening.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:10 PM

don't you have to cut off the fittings for the new trans cooler? if so then you have the hose fittings from the trans cooler. or are you thinking the 1/8 difference is going to hinder the substitution, you have to get AN fittings regardless. what's 2 more

Last edited by bronxteck; 07-03-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
don't you have to cut off the fittings for the new trans cooler? if so then you have the hose fittings from the trans cooler. or are you thinking the 1/8 difference is going to hinder the substitution,
I was thinking both, power steering are bigger than the transmission lines and the tubes are big all the thru the ps cooler. It’s really easy to move the cooler over. I don’t have any skills and I was able to do it. I took it in and out probably 30 times working on fit and finish and solving one problem at a time until I was happy with it. Another great idea that Citiboy had on his was to disconnect the two transmission lines on the passenger side by the lower radiator hose and run your hose from there to the cooler and bypass the radiator cooler and you don’t have to cut any transmission lines and it can all be put back on if needed. I The he used those FI clamps that are wide and clamp down really good.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:15 AM

This is a shot on my GMC truck which is basically the same setup. Can see the 3/8" brass compression fitting I used where I cut the one cooler line. Can also see the electric fan conversion with no huge clutch fan and the billet cap on the water pump pulley snout.

I'm not sure what size the PS cooler lines are (I know the trans cooler lines are 3/8") but one I might look at is cutting them and relocating that PS cooler to the lower grille opening which would then allow the Tru Cool trans cooler to be more centered in the upper opening. Properly installed the compression fittings work fine as well and are very cheap. Just want to be sure to use the correct type and size hose for any of the flexible bits.

All that surface rust and whatnot on the frame will also be gone soon on my truck. About to pull the bed off, then will be replacing the rear main seal, oil pan gasket, and valve cover gaskets. Then power washing the entire under carriage and coating the frame.