PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Needing some info on Hummers, purchasing soon

Old 08-08-2017, 11:59 PM
Question Needing some info on Hummers, purchasing soon

Hello Hummer Forums,

About a year ago I moved over to Cambodia to work with an NGO to provide clean drinking water wells in the poorer provinces. It has been a huge success and now we have a second contract for a further 2 years so I have decided it's time to buy some new wheels.

Most cars out here that are imported have a massive 200% tax added when the car enters the country so it makes buying them stupidly expensive and well above my savings. But there is hope, the Hummers here are very fairly priced and I now have my eye on these. The fact of the matter is though, I know nothing about Hummers or mechanics for that matter so I was hoping to get a few tips from you guys.

In terms of buying a second hand Hummer, what should I be looking out for? is there anything renowned for going wrong on Hummers? Then the maintenance, how often do you service? what oil do you use and things like that? Any and all information that you guys can share with me will be greatly appreciated!

SPECS of the Hummer I like
Make: Hummer
Model: H2
Year: 2005
Mileage: 97,000k

Thanks

Old 08-09-2017, 09:46 AM

There is hundreds of threads between 3-4 HUMMER forums which would answer all or your questions and then some.

H2's can have a lot of issues and some have none, just all depends how she was taken care of. You're talking about buying a 12 year old vehicle with 100k on the odometer. Is it going to have issues? I would assume so.

Marker lights can leak which floods the interior, transmissions are a weak link, ATF cooler inside the radiator can rust and destroy the transmission, rear air bags leak and the sensors go bad, transfer case encoder motors are known to have issues, front differentials are hard to come by if you happen to destroy that offroading, good luck finding interior replacement parts which are H2 specific, the list goes on and on.

Would I ever get rid of my H2, no way in hell. There will never be anything like it on the road. Would I have one as my daily driver, no I wouldn't only because they are aging vehicles and even with proper maintenance many items are coming to the end of their life.

I'm not saying all of this to sway you away from an H2 but they are old vehicles now. Forums are pretty much dead aside from this one and even at that there isn't the traffic it used to have. There aren't many of us who have been around for years anymore, most have moved on and gotten rid of their H2's.

If you have the money to be throwing into a 2 for maintenance and repairs then by all means go for it. If you are dumping your entire savings into buying the 2 without much left, not sure if I would go that route.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:19 AM

Having owned 3 Hummer H2s over the years 2005, 2008, and a 2004(current), I can tell you that the maintenance with them is not that bad at all. The oil is 5w-30 and can be easily changed just like a normal car. That being said, as it is an older vehicle, there may be problems with it depending on how the previous owner took care of it and what is worn down.

If you can, have a mechanic take a look at it and find any potential issues. If they are minimal, I would definitely recommend buying it as there is nothing at all like this vehicle. It is a beast on and off the road and if you don't mind 10-12 mpg, you will love the car.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:47 AM

Looks like there is a long list of known items to go wrong with the Hummer but luckily enough nothing too serious. I will certainly be taking a mechanic with me to check them out and everything else he can think of. In terms of the thirst the Hummer has for petrol I am pretty lucky in that aspect as well because fuel is dirt cheap here.

I am going to find a decent mechanic and then see what's on the internet for a test drive and full look over.

I will be back soon when I have some results. Thanks for the replies guys

Old 08-13-2017, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kitson
Hello Hummer Forums,

About a year ago I moved over to Cambodia to work with an NGO to provide clean drinking water wells in the poorer provinces. It has been a huge success and now we have a second contract for a further 2 years so I have decided it's time to buy some new wheels.

Most cars out here that are imported have a massive 200% tax added when the car enters the country so it makes buying them stupidly expensive and well above my savings. But there is hope, the Hummers here are very fairly priced and I now have my eye on these. The fact of the matter is though, I know nothing about Hummers or mechanics for that matter so I was hoping to get a few tips from you guys.

In terms of buying a second hand Hummer, what should I be looking out for? is there anything renowned for going wrong on Hummers? Then the maintenance, how often do you service? what oil do you use and things like that? Any and all information that you guys can share with me will be greatly appreciated!

SPECS of the Hummer I like
Make: Hummer
Model: H2
Year: 2005
Mileage: 97,000k

Thanks
Right guys, I have a mechanic coming to meet me tomorrow morning and then we are going out to view a couple of Hummers. Wish me luck and I will be back with the outcome