PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Line X vs Plasti Dip vs Paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 06:13 PM
Default Line X vs Plasti Dip vs Paint

I have plans to do some customizing on my H2. I am curious about others who have experience with Plasti Dip and Line X on their vehicle parts. I took the rock guards off due to some rusting and plan to have them refurbished. This is my starting point. I am planning on eventually painting the truck matte black at some point, but I have noticed you can also have them Plasti Dipped or Line X added. What have others done and what works?

Old 12-27-2016, 04:48 PM

I've seen the Line X and looks great and so does the Plasti Dip. The only fall back on the Line X is that you better decide on the color and if you have remember that this is bed liner and so it's not easy to remove and when you do remove it then you will need to repaint the entire vehicle. I called Line X it cost about 3k to do this.
Plasti Dip
It's good, just that it will last about 3-4 years depending how you take care of it. I heard a lot of things about it that it's difficult to remove and sometime it's not worth it, but if you are somewhat in a budget I believe this is a little cheaper then Line X. Sorry I don't have the pricing on the Plasti Dip, depends on the vendor who is doing this for you.

If I have to choose I will do Line X. I like it because it won't able to scratch the paint and don't have to worry where you park your car.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:40 PM

Plasti-Dip is NOT permanent. No matter what anyone says it will fade, peel, and sustain damage. I dipped by oem wheels with 4-5 layers years ago. They looked great for a little while. First car wash they peeled around the lip and once water gets under the plasti dip it just peels everything away. I cut the damaged areas and resprayed but it never looked as good.

Then maybe a year or so later they had faded so bad it looked terrible. Past-Dip is GREAT for trying out colors on things you are unsure of. Do that first then decide on the color then go with paint or Line-X.

Remember Line-X will fade also over time. I had the Line-X Premium sprayed in my new truck a couple weeks ago so I'm curious how it will hold up to the AZ sun.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:33 PM

TI have no fading with mine had for 4 years now... I apply mothers interior finish spray 3 times a year and it looks brand new.

Attached Thumbnails Line X vs Plasti Dip vs Paint-img_4221.jpg   Line X vs Plasti Dip vs Paint-img_4222.jpg   Line X vs Plasti Dip vs Paint-img_4212.jpg   Line X vs Plasti Dip vs Paint-img_4211.jpg   Line X vs Plasti Dip vs Paint-20160122_090121.jpg  

Last edited by sennaf4; 02-06-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:50 PM

I posted a reply to this and added a picture, but the post never showed up. Is there a review period since there was a picture or maybe I didn't add the picture correctly. I just copied and pasted.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:29 AM

I will try again. About a year ago I completed my project on my H2. It is a 2007 H2 SUT that I had painted flat gray (not primer). I wanted it a little darker, but it is what it is and I'm ok with it. I considered Line X on the whole vehicle, but after talking to the Line X guy and seeing a pickup that had this done, I chose not to. The pick up had faded and was stained due to road salt/brine in this area (St. Louis). I had the rock guards blasted, primed and Line X put on them. I had some custom steps made, blasted primed and Line X sprayed as well. I had the chrome parts such as the grill, hood handles and door handles wrapped with a flat black wrap. I tried the various ways to paint it with little luck. The chrome pieces that could not be wrapped due to shape such as hood latches and mirrors, I used Plasti Dip on. At this time it all still looks good.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:33 AM

Old 03-04-2018, 09:56 AM

try uploading the pictures to your garage here then linking the picture to this post. I'm curious to see how it turned out!

Old 03-11-2018, 07:57 PM