PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Whining noise coming from the tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:45 PM
Default Whining noise coming from the tweeters

Just replace the speakers for the Hertz which sound great but I'm getting an annoying whining noise . I can tell it is coming only from the tweeters

Could be a bad connection or maybe the component was mounted next to the speaker .
I didn't have the problem before it shouldn't be an Amp ground issue or wires running next to the speakers

I'm leaning towards a bad connection. I used a male/female disconnect for the tweeters and maybe the connection wasn't ideal . Could this be the issue

Thx
What do you think

Old 01-22-2017, 09:04 PM

Just remembered I zip tight the wires to the door wires. I guess this may be also a point to check
And the whining is only from the tweeter in one side

Last edited by H2Miami; 01-22-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:19 AM

I had something similar, and it would sound like wheezing when you accelerated. The culprit on my rig, was an RCA lead (amp to headunit) began to break down, switched this out and it disappeared. The other option was it could be alternator whine. Not quite sure how it works, but it's something to do with the interference from the alternator when driving.

Double check the connections.. make sure power is kept away from signal where possible.

Does it sound good though (issue aside) ? Pleased with the deadening etc ?

Old 01-23-2017, 09:37 AM

Ir sounds great, still planning to add a focal tweeters maybe on the front or back pillars to get a super crispy highs .
I installed the tweets on the door top next to the speaker so I can use the front pillars for anow additional tweet (cutting the door panel was the scariest part lol)
The bass was improved a lot . The combination between the speakers , deadening and the foam rings make a huge difference.
Only the speakers sound great but wouldn't make a huge difference without the rings and deadening
I got a little short with the dynamat . Only get to install on the doors inside and the bottom of plastic door panel to avoid vibration .

Will check the speakers connections and also the Rca which Btw runs next to the power but it was fine till replace the speakers .
Will post later the issue

Thanks a lot for all the advise and info

Old 01-23-2017, 10:49 AM

BTW only get the 2 front doors done . Will finish the back on the weekend . So it will sound even better

I will also move the power away from the Rca, checking the whining noise I realized there is a static noise , almost imperceptibly but it is there and may be due the power running along the Rca

I guess I'm going to pass on the sub . The speakers produce enough Mid bass .

Will replace the 2 front and back tweets and take it to a shop to fine tune the amp .

So far very happy with results.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:38 PM

Glad you're pleased. You can always go back and a bit more sound deadening if needed but it sounds like you're happy with it. Did you manage to get the door cavity "sealed" ?

I added rear door speakers and put the tweeters in the very rear (either side of the trunk door firing forwards). Some peoplle said to me don't do it, the tweeters should be at the front for staging, but i went ahead and did it anyway and i like the way it sounds. I didnt bother getting it tuned, i played about with the crossovers. Am more than happy.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:41 AM

I'm doing some changes . Switched the rear door speakers for the version with tweeters included .
I don't want to test my luck and crack the panel while drilling
Adding s kicked tweets on the front pillars. Still not happy with the highs .
Decide to get a powered compact sub (kenwood) to help bass kick . Not looking to make the mirrow vibrate but it may help with mid bass

Also moving away from power and replacing the Rca with good quality cables

Will be a fun weekend

I like how it sound now but I get a little frustrate when drove my Honda which sound better but the previous owner put an expensive set of Focals , an alpine hu and a expensive amp . I should stop comparing or this is not going to stop lol