PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels bearing & hub? .. Going in road trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Default Wheels bearing & hub? .. Going in road trip

Hi Evryone ....

Im going on a 4000 miles road on the next month ...

Cause I'm feeling a little rough vibration coming from the wheels Im thinking to replace the front wheel bearing ... Any advise on this appreciate .
Could only the bearing be replaced or the hub as well ?

In any case what to use the OEM or any aftermarket is better ?

Is this DIY

Im going the dealer this week to check if the Transm and transfer cases fluid was changed before I git the truck ( will change it if needed ) ... Wil change oil/filter/air filter

does any other preventive maintenance may be needed

Thanks for the inputs

Old 02-13-2013, 01:41 PM

I would not change my bearings as part of preventative maintanence.
Jack up the front end and shake the tire up and down. I mean push the upper part in while pulling the lower part of the tire out and vice versa. is there any play? is the tire assembly moving at all without the linkage moving?. If not then dont bother unless your getting noise from the bearing.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:40 PM

If you do need new bearings you have to replace the hub assy. It's easy to do. I would buy the best hub assy you can. OEM or a name brand from a trusted parts store like NAPA or Carquest. There are lots of made in China bearings that are poor quality.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 PM

"Jack up the front end and shake the tire up and down" .. I will do on the weekend to determined if the little vibration is coming from bearings ...

" made in China bearings that are poor quality. " I do agree 120 % ... in fact not only China bearings are poor quality .... I would call everything

A website is selling the hubs for a big different price
this one is $399 2003-2007 Hummer H2 Front Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly Pair (Timken) at 1AAuto.com

and this one $149 : 2003-2007 Hummer H2 4WD Front Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly Pair at 1AAuto.com

Well I guess the difference is quality ... Any way I wouldn't worry about it till Saturday I Test it

Old 02-14-2013, 04:18 PM

I've used cheap wheel hub assemblies in the past on customers cars. needless to say I don't do that anymore. Timken is now a brand (good brand btw) but it is also a type of wheel bearing. Henry Timken Designed the tapered roller bearing. If you have an older car that you could service the wheel bearings on, they were called timken bearings. Not only the brand but the entire design was henry timkens doing.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:18 AM

nothing wrong with preventive work, might get costly and time consuming

Old 02-16-2013, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
Hi Evryone ....

Im going on a 4000 miles road on the next month ...

Cause I'm feeling a little rough vibration coming from the wheels Im thinking to replace the front wheel bearing ... Any advise on this appreciate .
Could only the bearing be replaced or the hub as well ?

In any case what to use the OEM or any aftermarket is better ?

Is this DIY

Im going the dealer this week to check if the Transm and transfer cases fluid was changed before I git the truck ( will change it if needed ) ... Wil change oil/filter/air filter

does any other preventive maintenance may be needed

Thanks for the inputs
H2Miami, by chance are you planning to attend the Prismo Beach Hummer event in California in June? I am also thinking of attending..this is supposed to be the 2nd only Hummer event.. Dan

Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 AM

I would love to go but this is 3000 miles from my house ... 6000 miles round trip.. $2000 + in gas ... too long for me and my ride ...
Im going in a east road trip ... Tennessee .Niagara falls ... then way back

I love the West (wyoming) , unfortunately too far for me

Old 02-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Default Prismo Beach Hummer Event

Yeah..know what you mean..I researched the cost of gas..it will be around $2500.00 round trip...just for gas alone..hotel $250.00 - $450 per night, this is a Friday - Sunday event..I was debating...but the cost is too high..but if there some owners down here plannig to take the trip...I might consider..have mad several trips to CA in the pasts from Texas, but thats when gas price was cheaper and I used my Isuzu Rodeo to travel. but what good traveling with another car..basically defeat the purpose of going there.

Dan