PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Wheel Width

Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Talking Wheel Width

I have been browsing the internet and from as far as i can tell there are tons of retired military humvee tires for sale either by government auction or Private Seller.100Dollarman - Tires! Of course the first thing that came to mind was "I want them on my H2". The only problem i have is a wheel for the tire, the tires are 36x12.5x16.5. If i'm right i believe that the 16.5" wheel was on the older fords 250's/350's but I've not been able to find it in the correct width. Also because of the H2's 8 lug pattern it make the window even narrower. I plan on using 2" wheel adapters just for clearance issues and rubbing on the inner parts I've heard that this is a problem. In a nut shell does anyone have these tires on there rig, and what wheels are you using (where did you get them)? Also I've read that people will put 12.5" tires on 12" wheels if you could but any pros or cons with that setup it would be nice.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:33 AM

The smallest size rim you can mount on an H2 is 17". No way around this. It wont clear the brake hardware.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 PM

Do you think i would still have this problem with 2" wheels spacers/adapters? @bflorin

Old 10-22-2012, 05:45 PM

if your talking about 16.5 wheel/rim w/ wheel spacers yes. Its the inside diameter of the wheel that requires 17" to clear the hardware... Wheel spacers are just going to move the wheel outward.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:03 PM

So as far as you know there is no way around it, without any crazy mods to the hardware?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:28 PM

Anything is possible

There have been a number of threads on it over the years. The cost to modify the truck offsets any monies you would save w/ those tires.

This thread is usually referenced when someone brings it up-

Copy/paste from Hummie2 off xclub in 09

It can be done,but gets pretty involved before your done.

1. You need to recenter the wheel OR go with 2" Hubcenteric spacers X4.
2. You will need a lift, atleast 2" and they will still rub some.
3. They are hell to balance, but the upside is you can now use Centramatic Balancers with the spacers.
4. They are heavy as hell when you add rockrings and are so loud with a aggressive biasply tire you can't talk when you drive down the road.
5. The H2 still lacks C.T.I.S. and you will really wish you had it with bias ply tires.
6. At the end of the day I still go just as many places on 37" KM2s and I don't have to worry about keeping 64 lugnuts + 32 wheel nuts properly torqued.
7. You better enjoy fighting with mounting tires and beadlocks because most tire shops don't know anything about mounting them and if they do they will most likely pinch a o-ring when they put the wheel back togather.

Hummer X Forum • View topic - Will 16.5 rims fit the H2

Last edited by bflorin; 10-22-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:37 PM

Trying to find the other thread I remember on the 16.5 wheels. Showed all the clearance issues. Might of been on one of the other sites that lost all posts on change of ownership.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:23 PM

Nope, can't find it. Maybe someone else remembers that thread or where it was. Had about 15-20 pic.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:33 PM

Thanks for all your help, i wish this could have worked but whatcha gonna do. thanks for the links too, i guess if you're determined to get it to work you can but that is a little beyond what i'm comfortable/capable of doing.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 PM

FYI - Have you driven on a Humvee at highway speed? Anything past 60MPH is almost un-driveable (noise, rattle, controllability)? I have and wouldn't do it... May be an expensive mistake...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel Width