PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Wheel Dragging

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 01:53 PM
Default Wheel Dragging

I have an issue that when I turn the wheels much to the right or left, the tires start binding up also in reverse. If I jack the front off the ground, the front end turns beautifully lock to lock.

The best way to describe it is that somehow when half-way through a right or left turn , it's like the tire grabs and won't move till the suspension loads up and 'pulls' it loose. I can hear " POP" sound whenever making turns. Replaced new Tie Rod End,Upper Control Arm,Lower Ball Joint,Pitman Arms and stabilizer arm. Sadly it still there... Does it anything to do with Wheel Alignment? Anybody???

Last edited by S Reynold Gudam; 05-28-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:30 PM

That actually sounds like it is in 4HI LOCK instead of regular 4HI (AWD).

Old 05-28-2018, 07:04 PM

my 4x4 selector stuck in 4 high, and it said it was in AWD, did you try rotating the shifts around from low 4,to high 4 to AWD, I roll my H2 back and forth to make sure its in AWD, because when I have it in 4 wheel High, it pulls, and binds just as you described on dry pavement.....

Old 05-28-2018, 07:52 PM

I did some offroad just before the dragging and yes I did try to cycle through the selector switch but however,I only noticed halfway click sound from the undercarriage. Does it mean the lock mechanism failing? If so,what is your suggestion?
Thank you very much guys, appreciate your effort....

Old 05-29-2018, 10:34 AM

I'd try it a few more times. You can change between 4HI (AWD) and 4HI lock while moving less than 40mph. Shifting to 4LO must be done with the vehicle rolling very very slow or stopped with the trans in neutral. The attached outlines it on the last couple of pages.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AWD_4WD.pdf (16.3 KB, 102 views)
Old 05-29-2018, 04:28 PM

thanks for the attachment MixManSC.
I will give it a try again because I didn't try it while moving. Fingers cross...

Old 05-30-2018, 03:36 AM

Guess what...First thing in the morning I'd attempt to release it but the selector switch quit responding. Tried a few times but failed. Now what...🤔🤔🤔 Confused...

Old 05-30-2018, 06:37 AM

If you get the "Service 4WD Message" you have to shut the truck completely off and start it back up to clear the message before you can try again. That alone is a bit annoying but once that message comes up it will not allow any more changes.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
If you get the "Service 4WD Message" you have to shut the truck completely off and start it back up to clear the message before you can try again. That alone is a bit annoying but once that message comes up it will not allow any more changes.
I dont see any check light or service message in the dash. Why all of the sudden it quit? This time no clicking sound just dead silence...

Old 05-30-2018, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by S Reynold Gudam
I dont see any check light or service message in the dash. Why all of the sudden it quit? This time no clicking sound just dead silence...
Year and miles, year and miles, year and miles .... always helps when you ask a question.

Why? Because old stuff breaks.

Crawl underneath and check the wiring harness and connector to the T Case actuator motor. If that all looks OK, disconnect the actuator by unplugging the connector, clean the connection with electrical contact cleaner and try it again. Then check the switch and the wiring harness connector to it, same thing.

Sounds like your T Case actuator and/or switch may have been going bad and now puked. I would lean towards the actuator.

When you did the offroad, did you get the actuator wet, like in deep water or muddy water? Any brush snag the wiring to the actuator?

If you need to rule out which, test the wiring at the connectors with a volt meter.

Quick Reply: Wheel Dragging