PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Default What would you do?

I recently semi-retired and we want to get a camper. The one we are looking at is about 5300lbs. My H2 is currently under construction, (see my other thread.)
A simple break down is we are doing, heads, cam, intake, tune, and all the supporting mods. Nothing crazy, just a mild build. I'm still in the process of this. Just need to get the block to the machine shop. And adding up the rest of the stuff I want to do, is about $6300. That's counting front locker/gears front and read, which can wait, and new bumpers (~$2500.)
Or I've been looking at diesel trucks with a budget of $20K and just finish the Hummer as a project. I think the diesel will pull the trailer easier, and cheaper.
I'm not worried about the gas cost really as I have my 1/2 Dodge and my wifes Jeep to DD.

So what would you do? Finish the Hummer and tow with it? Or find a diesel?

Old 02-02-2015, 06:46 PM

Personally, I think the deuce will tow that trailer easily. I flat towed my CJ for 3.5 hrs each way through some hilly stuff. Didn't even know it was there...

Guess it may depend on how often you are towing or how much you make/keep the H2 a toy?

I'd see how the H2 performed the task and if I wasn't happy with it then would explore other options.

Diesels are great if you use them day in day out. But if it's something you are going to use occasionally. Then I don't see the value. The maintenance is more $$. Parts more$$. Buying price is way more which is a whole lot of gas that you could've bought.

P.s.- save all that money on the gasser and put it towards a dura max conversion !!!! Haha

I don't think you'll find anything more comfortable for a trip.

Last edited by madmayo; 02-02-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:45 PM

I wish, wish, wish, I would have looked into doing a Duramax conversion when I 1st started all this. It was supposed to be a simple heads/cam swap and spiraled downhill. Then with a marriage, and resigning/retiring from my job. The Hummer has been put on the back burner. The truck has sat since March I think, Id have to find my old thread.
My biggest fear is just doing all this work, then getting out on the road and it breaking down again far from home with the camper in tow.
We hopefully plan to tow/camp at least once a month local, with longer trips/stays as often as we can. Its a huge PITA for my wife to take off work for longer than a week or so.
When you posted this ""I'd see how the H2 performed the task and if I wasn't happy with it then would explore other options."" thats the problem. Its either drop $10K into the Hummer and finish it, or drop $20K on a diesel and finish the Hummer as I can. One or the other needs to be done RFN.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:48 PM

Just off the top of my head this is whats left on the Hummer:
Must haves:
Tranny cooler : $150ish
Efans : $150
Injectors harness: $30
Sensors: About $150ish. I plan to replace several just for piece of mind.
Machine work: $1000-$1700. May get them to just assemble the short block also.
Torque converter to match custom Cam: $450
Dipstick : $20
LS6 valley cover conversion : $200 or so.
Brakes. I want to rebuild all 4 calipers and so the SS lines before I tow.
Im sure Ill think of more as the night goes on.
Want tos, to be "finished" with the truck in my mind:
Bumpers : $2500
Locker and gears : $2000ish??

Last edited by Signal25; 02-02-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:52 PM

A guy on PT.net posted that his LQ4 +212/218+243 heads truck rolled 296/293HP and 297/296Tq on the dyno.
My build is very similar so thats the power number I am looking at. Which actually less as mine is 4WD.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:00 PM

At least the hummer will have a better than new fresh motor. And at least you know what you've got. As long as it's up to the task. Any used vehicle you buy is going to cost you money shortly after you buy it. There's always something... Plus insuring,plus,plus.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:07 PM

What I am worried about with the Hummer is that now it is freshened, and putting down more power, its just going to find the next weakest thing to break down the line. And hopefully that wont happen out of town.
Im sorry. Im just being a worry wart because I literally only drove the Hummer about 3 months till it broke down. Its been sitting for a year.
I just dont know what the best option is. Fix it and hope for the best, or get a newer used truck thats running.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:21 PM

I hear you. I'm always worried about the trans. As well.

Just saying that there's no guarantee the newer used vehicle won't have a catastrophic failure either.

Used diesels scare me these days. No one can just leave them stock and squeeze very bit f torque out of them and drive them hard.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:22 AM

I think your weakest link in the h2 will be the transmission. I would use the h2 forget the truck and spend the extra on a solid transmission rebuild so all the extra power from motor and towing will be contained and you will have one hell of a tow and fun suv.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:45 AM

If you are doing a H/C install similar to the other setup/dyno number you posted, where did it make peak torque? If the new setup is making max power/torque at higher RPM's than stock it could have an adverse effect on towing ability. Are you planning to be towing anywhere in the mountains? Flat ground towing is one thing but add steep grades and it's a whole other ballgame. If most of the towing you plan to do is flatland then you should be just fine...... if you plan to do any significant towing in the mountains then I wouldn't think twice, I'd get a diesel.

Quick Reply: What would you do?