Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

What have you done to your h2 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by dontheo55
Just as another option I used Black Bear Performance out of San Diego. They do tours to different locations in the country. They physically drove with me for about 30 to 45 minutes and made the changes while I was driving. It was unbelievable.

I did did all the engine, intake and exhaust mods first. I tow a boat so I really wanted to tune it for that. However, driving the other day I had to punch it getting on the freeway and I got a little chirp out of the tires. Man, it's been a long time but it's still in the blood.
+1 I used these guys too, awesome!

Old 06-18-2017, 12:38 PM

Installed my new Vortec MAX engine cover set. Had to make a small modification to the drivers side cover. Cut one hole about 1.5" square under the left bit of the hood latch that sticks down just a bit and was pressing on the cover. I will say this - the left and right covers are a bit fiddly to get in place. Both are a very very tight fit.

On the passenger side one you have to remove the factory bracket that hold the heater hoses (there is a new heater hose bracket on the new cover). You might also need a bit of threaded rod for one of the threaded bosses on the front of your intake manifold for the cover to hook over. Mine did not have one but I had a spare intake laying around that I was able to grab one off off. You could also just use a bolt and cut the head off and thread it in and that would work just fine too and you do not see it once the covers are on. On the passenger side the trickiest bit is getting the back into place around the oil and trans dipstick tubes. The outer edges of the covers screw down to the threaded bosses on your valve covers. On the set I ordered one side did not come with those bolts but the other did and the top cover came with its bolt too. All the bolts are the same - I did not have an exact match but I had other bolts that worked fine.

On the drivers side one I had to cut the one hole and then it would fit fine. This side is also a very tight fit getting it under the hood latch and the back into place and then getting the upper front over the threaded stud on the intake. Now that I know exactly how to fit them though, its really not bad, just tight and fiddly. The center piece just bolts right on like the original. Once all three are in place I do like the look myself - just a lot cleaner and neater looking. I know some say it might cause extra heat but I think realistically that is negligible at best. They are not literally touching anything and well, the factory even installs them. The drivers side one also has some cool vents cut into it just at the back of the alternator.

Also today - since I wanted to get a couple of other bits done before I did the covers so I would not have to pull them back off in a week... I had ordered a set of professionally cleaned and flow matched fuel injectors. Installed those. Also in light of the fact that I'm going to convert it to electric fans from a 08/09 model in the next couple of weeks, plans to install a nice bit of aux lighting eventually, etc. I ordered a 200A alternator and installed that. That should be plenty to deal with the additional electrical load of the electric fans and aux lighting.

Also - lastly today I replaced both upstream O2 sensors with new Delphi ones. At 117,000 miles the originals are past their service life and just start making things run not as good as it should and hurting your fuel economy. As they get to that high of mileage on them they start losing their accuracy which makes the ECU make things run richer or leaner and jacks your timing to compensate for the poor readings from them.

I also plan on doing the aux transmission cooler mod and eliminating its connection to the radiator. That will also help with keeping the engine cooler in the long run and will give some safety if the radiator ever internally breaches so as to not destroy the transmission by flooding it with collant (or get trans fluid all through the engine cooling system). I can hardly wait to get rid of the dang school bus fan. I think the thermal clutch on mine is getting a bit overzealous. With outside temps over 90 (F) around here my thermal fan clutch is staying fully locked up constantly which kills my power and of course sounds like a bus constantly. I could replace the fan but then it would still frequently get fully engaged which is annoying. Plus the thermal fan clutches do not totally freewheel. They constantly rob power and are a constant drag on the engine and put extra strain on the water pump bearings. I should point out though that electric fans are not all free horsepower. When running they have a high electrical draw which in turn makes the alternator resist much more. In the end its still much less of a load though and is a significant net positive gain in horsepower and economy.

Pics of the engine covers. I think its just a nice clean look myself. Can also see the new alternator all nice and shiny.

Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your h2 today?-vmax1.jpg   What have you done to your h2 today?-vmax2.jpg  

Last edited by MixManSC; 06-18-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:28 PM

Too hot for those here in AZ but I must say, they do look damn good. Nice work!

Old 06-18-2017, 02:16 PM

We have severe heat here too with wretched humidity to boot. I'm in Columbia, SC... we regularly get temps over 100 in the summer with humidity over 75%. Downright miserable - you get soaked with sweat just walking from the front door to your car. I just cannot imagine that they would really make a significant difference in the engine temps though. I might have to test it for the heck of it in a few weeks when I pull them off for something. I'll plan to drive around for a bit and note my exact engine temps, stop at the shop for 5 minutes and pull them off and then go right back out for a bit and see if the engine temps are any different.

Who know - I guess its even possible they could help! Maybe by channeling some of the air from the fans on over the rocker covers versus air just blustering around in the compartment? I'd be pretty surprised if that were the case though.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:34 PM

This past weekend I replaced the cracking stock black plastic door handle buckets and chrome door handles with SMA billet ones in black chrome. They looks sweet - hard to photograph black chrome in a way that conveys how it really looks. These SMA ones are extremely well made and very nice.

I will say though - the front ones are a total pain in the butt to install. Rear ones are pretty easy. Hard to find much of these accessories anymore (especially in black chrome).

Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your h2 today?-handles.jpg  

Last edited by MixManSC; 08-14-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:20 PM

Replaced plugs and wires in my 05. Also replace the two front body mounts due to squeaking when going up onto a sloped sidewalk. Squeak gone. Painted my 3 wipers mat black. Powder coated my U steps and rockers. Steps done but rockers still in shop. Will install in next 2 weeks. Powder coated my other set of U steps which will be installed on my 08 replacing the running boards this weekend.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:22 AM

where are you guys buying your door handles from?

Old 08-17-2017, 09:00 AM

I found the black chrome billet ones I just installed on eBay... Regardless, eBay and Craigslist are going to be your most likely source for pretty much anything for your H2 anymore. Not many retailers still stock anything for an H2 and certain things like these billet handles have not been made in years. What ones turn up are either new old stock someone has been sitting on or they are used.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:34 PM

What site are you guys using to link your pics? I need to move my build thread somewhere other than Photobucket with all their bull**** going on.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:20 AM

On here I've been uploading them directly onto these forums using the "Manage Attachments" function in the advanced post editor. That being said, whoever owns the forums can set limits. Currently that seems to be nearly unlimited but I'm not sure. My account control panel says I have about 8MB of assorted attachment uploaded.

Very recently though it seems that whoever manages these forums modified the "Insert Image" button in the advanced post editor which now lets you upload pics that are hosted by Internet Brands. My assumption is that is the company behind the actual hosting as IB also hosts a number of other automotive enthusiast related forums.

Anyways when you click the "Insert Image" icon in the advanced editor view it just works. You can also see how it links the image. As shown in the attached image of my positing this...

Quick Reply: What have you done to your h2 today?