PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

water leak but sunroof drains are not clogged

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Exclamation water leak but sunroof drains are not clogged

When it rains there's water leaking from the roof down unto the drivers side hand bar and from my onstar mic right above my head ( driving a hummer with a rain coat is not fun lol)...anyways, first thing I did open the sunroof completely and poured water in slightly to see if my drains was clogged they was not clogged a few small branches from trees which I removed and I also stuck bendable wire down the drains holes and they are ok...now I decided to pour a little more water and bam! the leak started coming from my onstar mic and drivers side hand bar, I removed the hand bar and it wasn't from the drain...this have me puzzled makes me to believe that if it leaks when the sunroof is fully open and by me pouring water to test it and also leaks when the roof is closed then water must be coming in from another location and if from another location how does it get to the onstar mic? ....need help please it's hurricane season in Florida and this isn't looking good. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:29 PM

it's a 2004 h2

Old 08-08-2010, 04:32 PM

you will have to pull the head liner down to see where the water is coming in from ,or do the water test again but put water just on the upper front widow seam
make sure you dont get water all over .then do the sunroof . your water drain line may have come off o rthe seal on the window is leaking ,sealat base of the front marker lights

Old 08-08-2010, 08:16 PM

Its comming in from your roof marker lights. Remove them put some rtv silicone on them and replace them. wait a coupld hours and do you test again....... problem will be solved

Old 08-09-2010, 01:00 AM

I understand what you guys are saying and thanks...but I didn't pour water on the lights I poured it when the sunroof was completely open and it looks like...if I stand on my seat with my head out the sunroof like 4inches on the left before you get to the drain hole on the left I think it goes through the rails that the sunroof slides on because it happens when I pour a little water right there...now when the sunroof is closed it also happens when it rains...I will try pouring water on the lights when the roof is closed and try to pry the headliner down and take a look as you guys say....BUT what still puzzles me is if I seal the lights that still would stop water if say for example I'm on rough terrain or going up a slope and water gets on the rail where I initially poured te water on and it came in via onstar mike and hand bar...am I making sense?

Old 08-09-2010, 04:52 AM
Default water leak

the only thing you can do is drop the linner down to see were its coming from ,,if your right it could be the seal that the sun roof sits on , maybe a bolt came loose ? if you took it to a dealer thats what they whould have to do , when the linner is down and you can see the water coming it maybe you can seal it from the bottom side ,mike

Old 08-09-2010, 09:00 AM

your right mike...and I just wanted to correct myself here even tho the drains are dripping water it IS the drain...upon more trial I again poured water again on the rails it leak and n by the drain holes it leaked didn't last time so headliner is being carefully removed just on the end to see if it's a clamp not tighten...and also I took off the corner orange lamp n poured lil water and no way for water to enter the h2 like that because even with the light off it drain outside along the hard plastic liner into door jam to the street....will keep y'all posted

Old 08-10-2010, 09:38 AM

CONCLUSION:
In the start where I open the sunroof and poured water on the rails that was a mistake its only natural pouring it on the rails will cause the water to drain to the left over the onstar mic and down the corner on the hand bar..the rails are slightly raise and water should really in no way ever get in on them is the roof is closed(my mistake..unless your drains are really clogged and there is build up in that area), which lead me to thinking even thought the sunroof drain wasn't clogged that it has to be somewhat clogged or has a hole where it connects to sunroof roof leading it to drip by hand bar while its raining(wrong again)...after removing hand bar, visor, rubber seal around door and sunroof I pried the the headliner down only to figure out it from the corner orange light that sits right above drivers head(as seen in my pics below)..a simple grommet need changing or sealing, thats it. thanks for all the help.
Name:  hum1.jpg
Views: 6410
Size:  63.4 KB
Name:  hum2.jpg
Views: 9033
Size:  58.7 KB

Old 08-10-2010, 10:41 AM

Driver's corner marker light is probably the most common place for a leak and is the first place you should check with any type of overhead leak as well as water ending up on the drivers side floor. I believe the grommet works loose over time from the vibrations of closing (slamming) the driver side door. Pull the grommet up and apply a good coating of Adhesive grade RTV and reseat the grommet in the hole.
________
Mexicocity hotel

Last edited by olfart; 04-03-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:37 PM

glad you found it and thanks for the pics of the repair ,i would also rtv the marker
light just to be sure ...mike

Quick Reply: water leak but sunroof drains are not clogged