PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to install a factory nav system.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Default Want to install a factory nav system.

Hi all.

I'm going to apologize in advance for asking this again but I'm finally ready to take on this project. had to iron out some finances and take care of my trailer.

I want to upgrade to a factory navigation system. i have an 03' bose lux system (y92) with a multi disc cd and onstar.

I was under the impression that a factory nav. unit would install as long as it was a for a lux. amp system. (have to add and antenna)

I asked to few questions to a seller on fleabay and he says they are not compatible. I know that at least one of you guys has done this because we talked about it before.

If it jars any memories any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:38 PM

It is something I've always wanted to do as well. From what I gather, we would need a specific part number for the factory nav and it will plug right in. Then a GPS antenna to mount under the dash, program from the dealership and it should be good to go. Finding a factory nav though for a decent price is another story.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what part number I need for the nav. I too have the Lux Bose system.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
It is something I've always wanted to do as well. From what I gather, we would need a specific part number for the factory nav and it will plug right in. Then a GPS antenna to mount under the dash, program from the dealership and it should be good to go. Finding a factory nav though for a decent price is another story.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what part number I need for the nav. I too have the Lux Bose system.
I have the Lux Bose system also, before I installed my JVC touch screen dvd I checked with my dealer and they told me I need the head unit and a harness. They estimated around $1600 !!

Old 09-12-2014, 08:27 AM

I did it on an '03 H2 I used to own. I bought a used Nav radio from Feebay, bought the Antenna from GM, I also bought the XM module and installed it at the same time. It's plug and play with the exception that you need to run a wire from the VSS wire coming out of the speedo to the Nav unit. I had to take it to the Chevy dealer to have them unlock the radio after I installed everything.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:35 AM

I have ready about the VSS wire but some sites say 2006+ has the wire in the harness already. Not sure how true that is though.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:59 AM

I think the 2006 does have the vss wire so you should be good. What are used factory nav units going for lately?

Old 09-13-2014, 06:48 PM

Depends on which revision you are talking about, newest revision with touchscreen I've seen anywhere from $399 (beat to hell) to over $1k....the pricing on these is ridiculous!

Old 09-14-2014, 09:46 AM

Lojac the price for this units its crazy , even around my area from a local junkyard they are asking too much and the units look like crap .im on the same boat about going to a factory nav . With the newer touch units that only allows you to play xm or fm when the map its in the screen there is a setup available online that allows to plug in a ipod also....

Last edited by hmer; 09-14-2014 at 09:50 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 09-14-2014, 01:45 PM

I agree, there is a non touch screen that is compatible with the lux bose system for much cheaper but it isn't square. The bezel is more rounded and I don't know if it would look right in a 2......

Old 09-14-2014, 09:43 PM

I got my factory head unit off eBay for $200ish. Then $100 to the dealer to reset it. I got the newest one.
I have a long write up I'll link next time I'm on the big computer.

Quick Reply: Want to install a factory nav system.