PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Turn Signal Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Default Turn Signal Issues

Hello,

I have an 05 H2. Recently I've been having issues with the right turn signal. When I flip the switch to the right BOTH turn signals activate. When I flip the switch to the left only the left activate. The brake lights and the 4 ways work as they should. If I pull the fuzes for the right side neither side blinks. If I pull the fuses for the left side the right side still blinks as it should.

I have tried replacing the combination switch to no avail. I have also read that water can get into the 7 pin trailer harness and cause issues. I disconnected that harness and the issue is still there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Todd

Old 08-02-2013, 06:31 AM

Have your cab lights ever leaked? I've seen fuse boxes get corrosion and cause similar issues...did the fuse or where the fuse plugs in look green?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:50 AM

Yes the cab lights have leaked in the past. A new NAV radio, climate controls, OnStar module and a little RTV sealer later I was back up and running.

I did remove the fuses and didn't notice any corrosion on them, but I wasn't looking for it. I'll check them and also look closer at the fuse box.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will follow up with whatever I find.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:52 PM

Sigh....

Either my beloved H2 is completely falling apart at 91,000 miles or there is one major thing going wrong.

I've done more looking into the signal issues and have found nothing. I pulled the trailer fuses and the first time I tried the signals they worked great. Since then they have been working 10% of the time. Sigh.....

Fast forward to last night. I notice one of my mirrors isn't in it's normal position. The mirror body itself is correct, but the mirrored glass isn't. I flip the switch to reposition the mirror and it does nothing. Flip the switch to the other side and same thing. I noticed the positioning switch on the driver's arm rest is illuminated when the rocker switch (for selecting the mirror) is in the center position, but the light goes out when the rocker is either to the right or left side. With the rocker switch in the center position the mirrors fold in just fine (Well, as well as they do on a 2005 H2!)

Then driving 20 minutes into a 60 minute drive the tranny starts slipping.

First gear is fine. Second gear is good until 3000 RPM then lets loose, lightening up again and shifting into 4th, where it's off the charts loose. I had to limp home at 50 mph with the motor running at 3700RPM.

So either this thing is completely falling apart and it's time to dump it, or there is a larger issue here.

Any suggestions?!?! PLEASE!!!!

Old 08-05-2013, 04:04 PM

I have 190k on mine, and have experienced the signal issue and the transmission issue.

Signal issue: Cab light leakage compounded by clogged sunroof drain ports. Caused hidden corrosion inside (where it was not visible) the fuse box. It wasnt until I went thru each one with a volt ohm meter that I figured it out. Solution, I replaced the fuse box completely, replaced all fuses and relays on it etc. Problem solved, not cheap but solved.

Tranny issue happened twice to me, first time I kinda knew it was my fault towing a 18k lb trailer over 2000 miles from MD to NM. Solution rebuild the tranny...

Second time it was electronics that went haywire in the tranny, solution, have the shop drop the valve body and replace them.

The 4L65E transmission is nearly indestructible. The torque converter is not, in fact its pretty flimsy. Just something to keep in mind.

Your comment regarding is it time to dump it is crazy, where on this earth are you going to get a more capable off road SUV. I havent found anyone with enough money to buy mine yet, its just not for sale and likely never will be.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:32 PM

Gleamor,

Thanks for the reply.

This has just been 2 weeks from hell with this vehicle, so the thought of replacing it is intriguing. I'm not sure I'd be totally happy with replacing it with anything but another H2. Regarding off roading, I don't typically do it, so the capabilities are not really that important. Towing my boat is, and at 2,000lbs most decent vehicles would suffice. They aren't a HUMMER though!

When you had the signal issue was the problem intermittent or constant? An interesting thing, I checked the fuses on the fuse box cover and they all seemed to be a bit corroded, however the fuses in the fuse box appear fine. That tells me there was/is a water issue. I assume the fuse box is modular, so I'm going to take it out of the truck this weekend (If I have it back from the tranny repair) and see what I can find. Is there a quick way to remove it? The idea of removing the entire center console and dash panels doesn't turn me on.

Regarding the transmission being nearly indestructible, a friend that rebuilds them for a living would disagree with you. I've got one on a truck heading this way. Fortunately my friend hooked me up at a decent price.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 08-06-2013, 11:40 AM

My signal issue was intermittent for awhile, then became constant and effectively annoyed me so I fixed it.
Unfortunately there was no "quick" way to remove it.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:03 PM

OK, I ordered a fuse box and will see if that resolves the issue. I figured it was best to have it on hand before ripping into the dash to test the original. Hopefully it fixes the problem.

Since the dash will be apart I might as well go ahead and upgrad to a different stereo and install a backup camera.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by diyledexpress
OK, I ordered a fuse box and will see if that resolves the issue. I figured it was best to have it on hand before ripping into the dash to test the original. Hopefully it fixes the problem.

Since the dash will be apart I might as well go ahead and upgrad to a different stereo and install a backup camera.
If i can offer a suggestion regarding a backup camera...

Get one that uses the upper marker lamp rather than one low you will see more

an example is here. Back Up Camera System H2BUPKG for Hummer H2 Vehicles

I got mine from Teakatoys for about $250