PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal/Flasher relay for LED's

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:29 AM
Default Turn Signal/Flasher relay for LED's

Does anyone make a turn signal/flasher relay for LED bulbs?? I switch all the rear bulbs to LED's and have a hyper-flashing problem now.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:59 AM

You need to add the appropriately sized resistors to prevent the hyperflashing.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:17 AM

It can get complicated. The most reliable but invasive and inelegant solution is what LoJac said. The pain with this method is you have to cut into your wires everywhere and add in very hot running load resistors.

There IS an LED compatible LED flasher (LM486 or LM487) module though however its not super cheap and depending on the numbers of LED's installed and other factors some people have had issues on GM vehicles that use this same flasher module like the Trailblazers and a couple of other models. Things like everything seems to be working fine but internally the resistance is off just enough that it makes the BCM think the brakes are on therefore disabling the cruise control from working or a remote start from working or when towing a trailer suddenly nothing works, etc.. See this site - LED Flasher Relay - Page 10 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum or search for others - I know plenty have done it.

I have not found a ton of info on this for the Hummers yet and of course depending on the year you might get different results. I have not really looked for much info on this for my Hummer myself yet. On my GMC pickup I settled on leaving the turn signals all with regular bulbs. They were plenty bright before and lasted plenty long so I left well enough alone. Just made everything mush simpler. I did upgrade the tail lights to LED though which has no problems since it does not blink.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:53 AM

Thanks both for replying. Yeah, I am very surprised there isn't a more reliable module out there given the nature of of the application and how often these GM vehicles are upgraded. I'm definitely not installing load resistors and will have to decide to switch back to bulbs, or take a gamble with this $40 relay, that may or may not work 100% of the time. I don't use cruise control ever, and don't have remote start, but couldn't live with any trailering issues as I regularly tow a 20' box trailer with over 6k gvw.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:43 PM

You could create harnesses if cutting and splicing isn't your thing. My Wife's '16 Camaro SS needed resistors for LED reverse lights. Luckily a local company makes factory style harnesses for all sorts of GM vehicles. Bought one, used thermal epoxy to glue the resistors to the metal body and never had a problem since. I also used the same company for creating other harnesses for my '16 GMC Canyon.

Anything is doable, just depends how much time and/or money you want to put into it.

LED relay flashers have been inherently unreliable from what I've read. Great concept but there is too much variability in the market with all the high and low end LED's out there.