PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Cost of Maintenance, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Default True Cost of Maintenance, etc.

I have never had a larger car, or even a luxury car . . .but several years ago, I fell in love with the H2, but could not afford one. Right now I am finally in a position to purchase.

I am currently looking at some H2's (2005/2006), around 60k - 98k miles. Can someone share me some of the real costs I am apt to encounter? I want to ensure I am not getting in over my head.

I expect to pay about $270/month in gas (based on $3.50 per gallon, and 1,000 miles per month).

I also estimate $40 every 4 months for oil changes. And $500/year, replacing two tires each year.

Amazingly, my insurance will only go up $8/every 6 months.

Other than this, am I missing something?

I have read a few stories about "differentials" leaking and transmissions needing to be rebuilt. Is this to be expected?

Is the H2 a money pit? If it is, then I will look more at the FX35 from Infiniti. Apples to Oranges, but I do really like that vehicle as well.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 PM

An H2 is very reasonable to maintain. Oil changes and tires if you drive it like a car. If you offroad it it can still be very inexpensive to maintain. The most important thing is to buy a truck that has been taken care of to begin with. I drove mine almost 90k miles and offroaded it hard and it was tires and oil changes.
You can also find complete sets of H2 tires and wheels on Craigslist all the time with almost no miles from 6 to 800 dollars. You can resale the wheels for a few hundred dollars and end up with all new tires for around 500. You will not be dieappointed in an H2.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:27 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks Millerlite!

How can you tell when the H2 has been well taken care of? The CarFax report does not tell you much . . . even the service records don't say much at all.

Is there something I can look for ? Or something to certainly stay away from? Can you tell if an H2 has been driven hard or encountered a long life of off-roading?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:39 AM

Check out my links below. I would try to get a 06 0r 07 that has around 50,000 or less. To me that is kind of the turning point in a vehicle. Any GM dealer can run the VIN number for you and tell you warranty service history. At the very least can tell your original dealership and call them for service history. for the first 36k or maybe 50k the vehicle was covered under warranty. So you would think everything would be good to go.

Look at skid plates and inner fender areas for dents and caked on mud. This will tell you of off road driving as well as the wheels. The vehicle is super comfy and quiet.

My H2 came off of a Lease so it was street driven only. Best of luck!

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=20626

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22246

Old 01-27-2011, 11:43 AM

[quote=KuyaRomeo;241597]

I also estimate $40 every 4 months for oil changes. And $500/year, replacing two tires each year.

quote]

You will be the proud new owner of a vehicle that is a fulltime 4x4. I was going to recommend always replacing your tires in sets of four however after carefully looking through the owner's manual again I don't see any mention of that.

I was always under the assumption that on a AWD or Fulltime 4WD that you should replace your tires in sets of four. I'll have to dig a little deeper and get back to you.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:39 PM

OK, I have not received a definitive answer yet from GM but all major tire companies agree that AWD/Fulltime 4WD vehicles should have their tires replaced in sets of four unless they are within 2-4/32nds of an inch in tread depth. the difference varies from different auto manufacturers.

Subaru seems to be the most affected by this btw

The reason the Tire companies do this is because they have repetetivly lost lawsuits from consumers (who insisted on putting two tires on their car and even signed a waiver) who damaged their awd system by doing just that. see firestone complete auto care and tires plus, america's/discount tire company and big o to name a few.

The judges seem to want to blame the tire company because when it comes down to it, they are the professionals.

To find a tire company that will replace two tires I'm sure you can go to a small shop where they just don't know any better.

Even the tire rack has a lengthy explaination about this on their website.

sorry to get into such a lengthy post, but just don't want to see a fellow H2 owner get into any costly repairs that can be prevented.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:53 AM

Kuya, i was of like mind about 5 yrs ago when i bought my 2003 H2. Loved them, bought one. No regrets. Only thing that has annoyed me was the image i somewhat received by owning a Hummer. I guess depending on where you live, reactions will vary.

But on a maintenance point of view, nothing more than what i expected. Aside from regular maintenance, had a few repairs bills hit the 2k$ mark over the years, other than that nothing major. Got my H2 at 48k (kms) sitting at 94k (kms) now. One thing to check on is the air compressor for the rear suspension not sure if they are prone to break down (i was told they are, by dealer) but it can be a costly repair/replacement cost is 4k+ or so. My dealer is full of **** at times, so not sure what to believe lol

Ive used my H2 for all my hunting/fishing trips. Lots of towing, havent hit anything hardcore for 4x4. And of course city/hwy commuting. All in all, amazing comfort and easy driving. Absolutely love driving mine. Been looking to downsize a bit, but having a hard time finding another vehicle to replace it. Looks like your prepared for the MPG. Other than that i having nothing negative to say about them.

GL with your purchase, cheers

Old 01-28-2011, 08:38 AM

No More Jeeps - thanks for the information! I will certainly use that when I am out shopping.

H2CANEPADESIGN - great information on the tires. I would not have known that. Instead of buying two tires at $500 each year, I will bank $500 the first year and buy 4 tires every two years.

About how many miles do you get out of H2 tires? I won't be off-roading much, just normal pavement driving. I do about 10k a year . .

Shotgun - more good information! As far as "image" is concerned - is it really that bad? I mean, I kinda expect a few looks . . .and to be on the receiving end of a middle finger or two, now and again . . . but I was not expecting much else. Here in upstate NY we get some hard winters so there are a few H2's roaming around . . I don't expect to be given a hard time . . but I could be wrong .

Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 AM

You should be able to get at least 50,000 miles out of a set of BG Goodrich AT-KO tires if you keep them rotated.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:01 AM

calif phil- that is much better than I expected! That puts me at new tires every 4 years, and $250/year instead of $500 a year!

Am I accurate in thinking those tires are around $250 each?