PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 06:01 PM
Default Transfer Case Issues

Hello All. I bought a 2003 H2 about a year ago. It worked fine for about 7 months then about a month ago I noticed I had a bad leak from my transfer case output shaft. The seal was completely gone. I must havent have noticed it for a while because I broke the planetary gear inside. I replaced the planetary and the seal and put everything back together. I just tried to drive it and the transfer case is showing its in neutral and it seems like its struggling to move. I just drove it in slowly in my driveway. The case wont move out of neutral. Im afraid to drive it because something doesnt seem right.

One question I have is There are 2 vacuum lines near the case. I dont remember which one I took out of the transfer case. Are both supposed to be connected somewhere or just one?

Also I dont hear the actuator attempting to change gears so I may have to replace that. I tested it without the actuator in when the case was out of the car with pliers and everything seemed to be working fine. The TREC fuse is good.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2019, 08:16 PM

I can sell you the one I took out for a diesel conversion. Works great just don’t use it on Duramax Conversions.
make offer

Old 06-10-2019, 08:17 PM

I’m putting the the drivetrain in from the hummer to put
in the Silverado donor truck and I don’t need an awd transfer case

Old 06-10-2019, 08:20 PM

No vacuum lines on or near the t-case. There is one vent tube that goes to top of t case and runs up on trans and has a special lil bracket for it.

Last edited by SgtChris30; 06-10-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:59 AM

Ok thanks, So there are 2 tubes down there. I guess I have to make sure I hook up the right one.

Also I am just realizing that the issue might be with the encoder motor not lining up properly with the male end in the case. I had to put the motor on the shaft then sort of force it into position to bolt it onto the case. I did not realize that the gears had to be lined up properly inside. I think I may be taking this thing apart again unless I can get the encoder motor female end turned to line up properly with the male end.
Thanks

Old 06-11-2019, 12:22 PM

i believe you have to manually put the transfer case into neutral first with the encoder removed by moving the internal fork where the encoder motor mates. make sure to block your wheels and set parking brake so the truck wont roll over you. while the encoder is out set the transfer case to neutral using the transfer case switch on the center dash. once both the actual transfer case and transfer case encoder motor are in neutral mate them together and bolt it in. then test to see if it is now synchronized together.