Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Towing Question ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 03:26 PM
Default Towing Question ?

I may have to trailer a vehicle 1200 miles (Arkansas to Arizona) and tow a Boat & Trailer back. The vehicle and trailer will weigh 6350. The Boat and Trailer will be slightly less. My H2 is stock with 74000 miles. This will be in the next couple weeks so cool weather. Any concerns that far with that weight ??

Old 02-13-2017, 05:09 PM

Based on what I've read my only worry would be the transmission. I'd be looking very close at swapping the transmission cooler to a larger aftermarket on real quick.

Other than that I'd think you be fine myself.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:10 PM

Mixmansc ... getting an aftermarket cooler is a must but I don't think is needed right now as he is trailering in cool weather . With 74k miles tranny should be still as new Make sure to use the trailering option .any chance you find hills with ice or snow on the way? Stopping the beast with a heavy load isn't a joke .

Old 02-14-2017, 07:20 AM

Keep the tranny under 200 use tow mode. I had a hard time keeping it under 200 even in cool weather but once I put the tranny cooler on, it has never been a concern. You can do it but you'll need to take your time and watch closely.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by mulepic
Keep the tranny under 200 use tow mode. I had a hard time keeping it under 200 even in cool weather but once I put the tranny cooler on, it has never been a concern. You can do it but you'll need to take your time and watch closely.
What Cooler did you use ?? Did you do the install or have it done ? Difficult ?

Old 02-15-2017, 03:37 PM

I followed this thread:
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-cooler-35751/

I did the install myself and not difficult. But I know my way around a car and have a decent set of tools. The thread should help you out.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:15 PM

The mod isnt hard to do . Only hard part was to cut the tranny pipes . I used a very small plumber cutting tool
Also make sure to get a very good tight clamp for tge hose attaching to the tranny pipe . It got a lot of preassure

Old 02-16-2017, 08:00 AM

My tranny cooler let go on my 2003 years ago while towing. $5000 later it was repaired. I would definitely add a tranny cooler. If you don't want to mess with it find a local tranny shop to install one for you.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
The mod isnt hard to do . Only hard part was to cut the tranny pipes . I used a very small plumber cutting tool
Also make sure to get a very good tight clamp for tge hose attaching to the tranny pipe . It got a lot of preassure
I didn't cut any trans lines when i installed mine.

Here's what i did.
1. Disconnect the upper line from the radiator.
2. Connect the hose (included in the kit) straight to the new external cooler. Cut to length.
3. Disconnect both the oem trans cooler lines from the radiator cooler and trans line coupler end.
4. Connect the other hose.
5. Plug both the radiator cooler.
Done.

The beauty about this set-up is if the external trans cooler fail for whatever reason, just disconnect both the trans lines from the external cooler hose and reconnect both directly to the radiator cooler.

Last edited by citiboy; 02-16-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:19 AM

Ditto, didn't have to cut any existing lines.

Quick Reply: Towing Question ?