PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torsion Keys/Spacers vs. Full Suspension Lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Question Torsion Keys/Spacers vs. Full Suspension Lift

Evening everyone. I've tried searching all over and can't exactly find the main differences between Torsion Keys/Spacers versus full suspension lifts.

I'm used to 30 year old trucks where you throw some blocks under the leafs, giant U-bolts and call it a day lol.

I'm not looking for a giant full suspension lift. Just 2-3" to make the H2 look a little different from all the others driving around. I know suspension wise you have to jump up to the 4" lift but I don't want that much (right now at least).

I have found many kits offering re-indexed torsion keys and rear coil spacers (I'm non air suspension). The kit I'm looking at is 3" front lift and 2" rear with new shock mounts "to allow the factory shocks to be retained." What are the cons to going this cheaper route as opposed to a full suspension lift. I have read multiple threads about the various front suspension components having issues when lifted but would one have similar issues with the kit above?

Basically I don't want the 4" full lift right now but if going the cheaper route will have consequences to the H2 then I'll just wait-reason I'm asking so many questions is because these cheapo kits sound almost too good to be true.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Well.... I assume you want the lift for larger tires, which you can do on a stock H2. (37's)

OR... you can crank the front end up, and put spacers under the coils.... and basically have 37's....maybe 38.5's.... but beware.... there are some crappy kits out there that is going to destroy your ride, and tweak your cv angles to the point you are going to have severe wear and excessive vibration.

or you can do the 4" lift, and put 38-40's on.....

OR.... you can go my route.... and that is very different.

Decide just how different you want it to look.... and let's go from there.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Another clean up from the no post archive section. Might be seen by more members out here.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 AM

For the front you do not want to use a Torsion bar lift to go any further than 2". After 2 inches you are going to be putting too much angle on the 1/2 shafts.

To do the front just get the chevy "Green Keys" They can be had at any local GM dealer for roughly $70/Pair. The shock brackets you see with the tbar lift kits actually do not give the correct geometry for the shocks.

You need to get on Racho's Site and look up the part number for a 2-3 inch lifted H2. Buy those shocks from Summit. Summit will give you a 2 week on backorder notice when you go to buy. Dont worry about that. Summit just does not stock the shocks but they have them drop shipped to you directly from Rancho. The shocks should run you around $90 for the pair shipped.

For the rear I had Air ride and had some customs spacers milled out of UHMW. But I believe you can get SAMCO? rear springs for 2" of lift for like $300ish? Cannot remember how much they are. Or you can just buy spring spacers (cheap)

Unless your rear shocks are worn they are fine for the rear application because they are already designed to work at 2" more ride height than factory. I believe that the air ride trucks use the same shocks as the spring trucks? I dunno if someone can verify this?

One thing I would recommend doing it lengthining the sway bar links. I never did this and it pretty much destoryed my sway bar bushings.

I hope this helps.