PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Potential Hummer H2 Buyer

Old 11-14-2017, 04:29 PM
Default Potential Hummer H2 Buyer

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a hummer h2. I've done a lot of research about the car and found much conflicting information. My budget is around 10-12k that being said the hummer I purchase will be relatively old and with high miles. I am wondering what are some of the key things to look for when purchasing the car. What key things should I look for and what information about the vehicle should I inquire about such as maintenance schedule, what work has been done etc. I'm scared of ending up with a lemon car. Furthermore from your experience how is reliable is a hummer h2 with high miles? What costs should I expect in terms of yearly maintenance? Your feedback and input would be greatly appreciated in picking the right car. Thanks

Old 11-14-2017, 04:33 PM
Default Potential Hummer H2 Buyer

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a hummer h2. I have had my eyes on this beast for quite some time now. I've done a lot of research about the car and found much conflicting information. My budget is around 10-12k that being said the hummer I purchase will be relatively old and with high miles. I am wondering what are some of the key things to look for when purchasing the car? I heard the tranny gives out at around 100k miles which will be the mileage of the vehicle I purchase so I will definitely try to find one that has had its tranny replaced recently. Other than that what major key things should I look for and what information about the vehicle should I inquire about such as maintenance schedule, what work has been done etc. I'm scared of ending up with a lemon car. Furthermore from your experience how is reliable is a hummer h2 with high miles? What costs should I expect in terms of yearly maintenance? Your feedback and input would be greatly appreciated in picking the right car. Thanks

Old 11-14-2017, 05:35 PM

Here is a short list

Transmission.. well know to fail arou d 100ish k . Mostly the 2nd . Rebuilt isnt crazy expensive . A Heavy duty runs for about
Radiator crack and leak into the tranny fluid . Check if an aftermarket trannsmision coolant is installed
Dont get the one with air suspension. At that miles is very prone to fail , repair costing is high
Make sure the transfer case is working properly in every setting
(Btw dont play with it till you know how to use it )
At last but not less . Check the front hubs
And the front end.
Nothing is expensive for this truck as it useGm parts but labor could be more than usuals

Old 11-14-2017, 07:56 PM

Thank you for your response, I was going to higher a mechanic to do a full inspection of the vehicle before I will add these items for him to check out.
The vehicles I am looking at are around the 150k mark, do you think they will still have enough life in them given all the parts are working properly to last me till 200 maybe 250k miles

Old 11-14-2017, 11:26 PM

Mine is at 130k . I got some issues but nothing really serious.
With 130k is still running strong.
I tow a 4000k boat for 300 miles every 3-4 weeks
I go Florida to Tennessee 900 miles at least once a year .
This never let me down
If you get a pampered truck and take good care off it it will make it to 250k with minor issues

Im sure many in this forum are touching the 200k
Another thing to considerate
Despite the engine size once the engine is warmed this trucks are quiet in idle . If you heard a shu-shu-shu (lol . Hope you understand) noise is coming from the exhaust broken bolts. Nor a big deal but knowing those points can get you a better price
Hire a mechanic to check it is a good and smart thing

After you purchase. Post pics here
Cong

Old 11-15-2017, 03:46 AM

Thanks for all the input I greatly appreciate it.

What's your guys input on extended warranty? I called many different companies and got quoted some rediculous prices for warranties that barely cover anything.

Also before I purchase the vehicle I was going to hire an inspector to check out the car to get an in depth look into it. Do you guys have any pointers or vital components I should advise him to carefully inspect.

Sorry for the million questions I really appreciate your help

Old 11-18-2017, 08:46 PM

dont buy extended warranty, its a scam. when i got my H2 2008, my car guy friend told me so, there is always a fine print if you go to mechanic

Old 11-30-2017, 11:41 AM

OP . did you get to pull the trigger

Old 12-06-2017, 07:57 AM

Thanks for all the tips. I am about to buy one this week and this was helpful. Cross fingers and I should be an owner this week end

Old 12-06-2017, 08:48 AM

Great . Good luck . Post pics