PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tie rods and ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Default tie rods and ball joints

hummer told me that the body mont is bad and that is what im hearing. i thing there full of **** cuz its not coverd under the warent and they want like 800 to change the body monts. i think it is the tie rod but im not sure how can i see if the tie rods are bad.

it click and clocks when i turn left or right and if i hit even a little bumb on the road it maks the same sound. thanks for all the help

Old 02-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Default RE: tie rods and ball joints

sounds like a body mount from your description. there are 8 of them, 4 per side. the bottom rubbers tend to rot and fall out. the cost to replace them all is because they replace both the top and bottom mounts, when typically it's just the bottoms that are bad, and that requires lifting the body off the frame. i think the parts are like $30 per mount, but they only sell both pieces, not just the bottom. i've still got a bottom mount that i found in an old parts bucket at a 4wd shop in Moab, still holding up fine. crawl underneath and see which one is missing or split and replace it yourself. the bottom ones are easy to replace, just take out the bolt, let the old one fall out and put the new one back in.

if it was a tie rod that was bad your steering would be wonky, or you wouldn't be able to steer at all. when my first body mount fell out it sounded like the body was going to fall off the frame, so they're probably telling you the truth - except the part about all of them needing replaced . . . . . .

Old 02-06-2008, 02:14 PM

thank you so much for the info. and you say that this is something i can do my self if it is just the bottop of them. are the mounts hard to find will i be able to fine the easy. and is this something i need to do right away or can i waite a bit tel the wether gets better out here. cuz out here in chicago its snowing bad right now as we speek.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:41 PM

if it's just the bottom mounts that are hosed, you can do it yourself. the easiest mount to spot is the very front one, doesn't matter which side. look inside the wheel well at the very front of the frame rail. you'll see a round metal "cup", upside down, with a rubber bushing in it. underneath that, there's another rubber bushing, or should be anyway. once you know what you're looking for, the other 3 on each side will be easy to find. they're spaced evenly along the frame. here's a pic of what a good one, or at least all together one, looks like. the bottom piece will come off with the bolt you can see in the center. i would recommend doing it as soon as you can, it doesn't take more than 5 minutes and you probably only have one or 2 that may be bad. just run your finger along the bottom mount to see if it's missing any pieces or split - then replace it.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:33 PM

also to check your tie rods its easier to have the vehicle off the ground... grab the wheel as if you were about to hug it and jiggle it from left to right... if you feel some play then you know you have a bad tie rod...

Old 02-06-2008, 09:21 PM

or a bad pitman arm, or a bad sector shaft on the steering box. if your steering isn't feeling sloppy, i doubt it has anything to do with the steering parts. but doing the test Sig mentions can tell you if you've got some bad steering components. you'll want the skid plate off if you're going to do it. if you see the pitman arm slide up and down on the sector shaft, well, you need some new parts . . . . . [:-]

Old 02-07-2008, 04:12 AM

thank you so much for all the help guys i going to try and take a look at the body mounts. and see if that is the proplem first. do any of you know where i wood be able to find new body mounts on the net or can i just go to auto zone and get some. also are the mounts the same or are they diff top and bottom. agin thanks for the help guys

Old 02-07-2008, 09:09 AM

the top ones are different than the bottom ones, and it's typically the bottom ones that fail. they're not solid, they're just a ring of rubber attached to a large washer on the bottom. i replaced one with another solid rubber bushing i found in a used parts bucket - and it's still holding up. the other one i replaced was stock, but i only replaced the bottom one. if you can find something the right size that's solid, it will work. however, if you're still under warranty the dealership may use it against you if something frame related happens (unlikely, but possible i guess).

Old 02-07-2008, 09:59 AM

Is there a place to buy these cheap online?