PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking from engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by HUMVEH2
It depends how bad the lifters are, if it's as bad as where the valves wouldn't open to release pressure on the combustion chamber, then it would cause a misfire. But the engine would idle/run really rough, and won't be drivable.

Doing a complete tune up should be the way to go, better than just switching stuff around. If P2270 code doesn't go away after that, you'll need a new 02 sensor..

I did a tune-up last year when I got it. I did not change the plug wires though.
I think I have 2 different problems here, the tapping rockers/lifters noise is coming from the driver's side and the misfire is on #6 right passenger side.
I'll address the misfire first due to the fact it's accessible to fix a misfire, verses removing the heads from the engine to replace lifters.

Take a look at the video on finding a misfire... This guy is good. I like how he ruled out a mechanical problem by performing a vacuum test.
I have to tell the mechanic to perform a HYDRO CARBON TEST to read the gas levels from the exhaust. This test determines faulty fuel injectors.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 PM

The fact that it takes aprox 5 minutes till it stops says exhaust leak!

A bad lifter usually makes noise for the first couple seconds, or gets louder under load. I believe your barking up the wrong tree. Take it to an exhaust shop or dealer...