PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying an 06 H2. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 01:45 PM
Default Thinking of buying an 06 H2. Advice?

A year ago I purchased an 04 Range Rover and I LOVE the vehicle, but its a maintenance nightmare. Now I'm considering trading it in on an 06 H2 with 150K miles.

Does anyone have any advice about what I should look out for? Am I trading one headache for another?

Old 07-03-2017, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Beandip
A year ago I purchased an 04 Range Rover and I LOVE the vehicle, but its a maintenance nightmare. Now I'm considering trading it in on an 06 H2 with 150K miles.

Does anyone have any advice about what I should look out for? Am I trading one headache for another?

For a short answer, are you trading one headache for another-yes.

The drivetrain on the H2's are tried and true, parts are readily available for now until eternity so no worries there. However, there is a lot of H2 specific problems that most high mileage H2's face. Interior parts are H2 specific as well so you'll spend well over $1k if you need a new door panel-that is if you can find them. Less expensive parts can still be had on ebay and amazon.

I say it is a headache because you have no idea what the thing has been through. If someone has kept it well maintained or just beat the hell out of it. I bought mine when it was 5 years old I believe with only 34k miles. I have been the owner ever since so I know every nut and bolt on the thing given the amount of work I've done to it. Keep in mind, mine has not been a daily driver for over 2 years now.

I am very surprised at the amount of people buying these with high mileage and age but if you have the funds and are willing to put some time and effort into it then go for it. There is nothing else like it on the road.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:11 PM

I'd agree and also very much with the fact that just because one is super clean (likely just for being sold) does not mean its been loved or well cared for...... if it has not been. Then well, you will have a lot of projects to take on.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:08 PM

Agree 100%. You will have to do an inspection that is quite thorough. I have an 06 and hav not had the problems others have had with the noises and squeaks. But it's 10 year old plastic parts. I enjoy fabricating things and learning about stuff so I just have fun with it.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:46 PM

A car stealer will jack you up for top dollar and nothing on trade.

150k means the doll was driven and anything that goes wrong, went wrong and has been fixed. Do a carfax to see how many owners and history the dream has.

If you get it for a good price, no worry cause these American beauty's hold their value like nothing else on the lots. My 2003 extortion hummer had 163k when bought and runs well. I get 13 mpg and the little things I can putz up when I have time.

Check from a cold start if any smoke blue or white blows out the back. Then do the same with a hot motor. The hum should start almost immediately without turning over and over. You got a problem if it does that.

Check tranny fluid for color and if you can smell, sniff the stick. Tranny fluid should be red and not dark brown and smelly.

Eyeball the rear suspension for the air ride swapped out for springs cause that problem has been solved. Unless you want the air ride and like throwing dice till it break$.

Leaks, oh ya, you gonna have some if there are marker lights & sun roof top side.

Brake line rot. Yup check those front and back. Brakes them too.

Remember, its a used car and it awaits your wallets generosity, whether you agree or not.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:16 AM

A well used H2 is still going to be much cheaper to own than a Range Rover.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:50 PM

Thank you all for your advice!

Old 07-04-2017, 08:49 PM

My H2 is an '06 as well, no real problems although the plastic door trim rattles a bit and my kid just broke off the the part that holds the power window switches on the passenger door. I also have some minor cracks and squeeks in other doors. Funny thing, the drivers door gets the most use by far and is the only one still 100% perfect. If a door panel really is over $1k, that's just stupid. I recently had custom door panels built for one of my other cars for $400 each. Seriously, my plan even before I saw the $1k price was just to hot-glue the broken and rattly bits then someday in the future go custom door panels. I always thought Hummer kinda cheaped out on them, at least the '07 and older ones, and tasteful custom panels are not terribly pricey.

Mechanically, it's a GM. You never know if it's been flooded or beat on or had maintenance neglected, but I'd still take the maint costs of an unknown H2 over a Range Rover.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:56 AM

On my 05, my doors esp were creaking loud when going over bumps. It sounded like an old beat up man where every joint is crackling. I put dynamat in every door and the difference in noise now is astonishing.

Last edited by mcioci; 07-05-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Beandip

I just recently bought an 04 H2. Some issues I've had to fix so far... (1) gauge cluster had all the bulbs burned out, shift indicator was dim - had it refurbished via eBay, all stepper motors replaced (another common issue) - works perfectly now. (2) Basically 90% of the bulbs in the truck were burned out since its over 13 years old, all the HVAC console bulbs (I had to remove it, take it apart, solder new bulbs in, put it back together), the bulbs under the shifter, for the rear wiper switch, etc. (3) All the wipers were worn down and had to be replaced. (4) I was also having battery dying problems which I traced to the head unit configuration of the previous owner, I took it all out and replaced it with my own stuff, I believe they had wired something improperly that was killing the battery. They had also disconnected the steering wheel radio controls which I had to fix (5) My ABS, T/C, PARK BRAKE, and SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM was coming on randomly and intermittently, I had to remove my EBCM and have it refurbished via eBay. I did all the work myself and just paid for the repair which was $100. My mechanic wanted to charge $924 to install a new EBCM. (6) I had roof leaks on both sides of the front and the passenger rear. I traced these to the marker lights on top. Had to pull all the marker lights, replace the bulbs, blow out all the crap with compressed air, then silicone down the rubber grommets and the marker light covers. (7) My door seals had shrunk or come detached some how, also contributing to the water issue. Cleaned them out with compressed air and attached back firmly using silicone. My front heated seats don't work (probably will never touch that fix). I have chipped paint on a lot of the interior pieces that I'm trying to touch up. I did get a decent deal on my H2 though and knew it would be a semi project when I was getting into it. I love it more than my H3. Mechanically so far it has driven like a beast and hasn't had any problems there (I've had my transmission worked on in my H3 three different times as well as having a valve job done, that all happened at 70k miles - its now at 112k). If you are comfortable with working on stuff yourself I would say go for it. It is super fun to drive and there is really nothing else like it and never will be again. I have been nitpicking my H2 and trying to get every last light bulb and paint chip to look right though. As long as you get one that is mechanically sound I think you'll be fine, thoroughly look it over and test everything before you buy it.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying an 06 H2. Advice?