PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tech 2 or similar software

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by faresmotors
Dear All,
Please advise:
- what do you think of Tech 2 made in china?
- Is there any software close to Tech 2 to be bought which has access to all hummer h2 modules?
Regards, YF
How to Choose gm tech 2 Scanner For different versions?

How to Choose gm tech 2 Scanner on chinacardiags.com | chinacardiags

Old 06-12-2019, 03:50 AM

I've got one and their website still doesn't make sense.

So long as you get everything and a case you should be OK.

This link talks about the options but it's still not very clear.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:47 AM

The "Candi" module is needed for GM vehicles with the newer electrical systems. On an H2 the "Candi" module would be required for an 08/09 model. I'm not sure what years on an H3 and other GM vehicles.

On any of them you must have the 32MB card (GM North America)

The plastic case adds to the cost but is worth it as the full kit is a lot of separate pieces and the case gives you one place in a custom fitted case to keep it all neatly versus all dumped into a cardboard box.

The TIS2000 software/USB Key are really NOT needed unless you want to reprogram ones of the many various computer modules in your vehicle with software updates. To use the TIS2000 software you will need to install it on an older PC running Windows 98, Windows XP, or Windows 7 (32 bit) and will need a serial port to connect to the Tech2. As an example though, my 2003 had multiple modules with updated software which CAN fix problems. One I remember is my air ride module had an update that fixed the compressor running much more often than needed.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:58 AM

MixmanSC where did you get the update flash roms for the modules you flashed? was it included on the CD, or do you have to subscribe to the GM tech net.
usually with the china tech2 clones they usually tell you not to use the gm website.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:12 AM

They are part of the TIS2000 software that comes with it....

I've read on other sites people not having any problem with doing a GM subscription using the Chinese Tech2's to get software rom updates though. I think I read that on the big Saab site where they have talked a ton about Tech2's.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Sorry - should have replied months ago but missed it for some reason. For programming you also need to have TIS2000 running on a computer or pay GM for a 24 month subscription for their TIS2WEB (Vehicle Programming) for $40 https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome
The computer will need a serial port for downloading the programming to the Tech2 for programming your vehicle.
The way programming works is you connect the Tech2 to the vehicle and tell it you want to program a module. It interrogates all of the modules on the vehicle for the current versions and the VIN number. You then connect it to the computer running TIS2000, GlobalTIS, or TIS2WEB subscription and select programming in the computer. It reads the Tech2 for the vehicle info and then presents you with a list of software for all of the modules and shows you which have updated software. I recommend only doing one module at a time which is a good bit more back and forth but safer. The computer then loads the update to the Tech2. You take that back to the vehicle and connect it and it then programs the module.
The best, most reliable and safest method is to use a long enough serial cable (its uses 9 pin serial adapters with an ethernet cable to make the cable longer - so you can just use a longer network cable) and do pass-through programming. In that method the process is the same but you leave the Tech2 connected to both the computer and the vehicle at the same time. Once you select programming on the Tech2 then go to the computer and you can immediately update each module right from the computer.

There is a slightly more updated version of standalone TIS2000 floating around on the web which has additional updates that has software updates for vehicles through 2009 as well. I know just using that TIS2000 both my GMC truck and my 2003 H2 both had a bunch of software updates available to be programmed all of which fix small issues or improve certain aspects. One example in on the older single compressor air ride like my 2003. Those would run and make small adjustments a LOT more often than needed and the software update fixed that. On the H2 the rear air ride is also one to be very careful of for doing software updates though. For example, my 2003 came with the earlier style single compressor but if it were to fail a dealership would replace it with the newer style dual pump compressor. Programming would still think its the original style and would attempt to program it and that would actually cause it to fail. TIS2000, (Global, Web, etc) will warn you about this sort of thing though so just heed all warnings and follow instructions and its fine.

The programming aspect is not needed or required to use the Tech2. The Tech2 still gives you a TON of diagnostics and tests that NO other OBD device has including things like the air ride module, detailed BCM functions, basically you can control and test every computer module in the vehicle.
I know this is an old thread. But I was wondering if it could reprogram a new abs module. I get that service break system warning every now and then.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:55 AM

Without specifically trying to test that I cannot say. All I can say is that this is the very tool that GM dealers use to reprogram and test modules. If the programming is available than this can do it. That being said there are some modules that can only be programmed once, ever. I'm not sure which modules those are but they are only programmable when brand new. I know some older BCM (Body Control Modules) are like that, once programmed that is it but I have no idea which other modules are write once.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Without specifically trying to test that I cannot say. All I can say is that this is the very tool that GM dealers use to reprogram and test modules. If the programming is available than this can do it. That being said there are some modules that can only be programmed once, ever. I'm not sure which modules those are but they are only programmable when brand new. I know some older BCM (Body Control Modules) are like that, once programmed that is it but I have no idea which other modules are write once.
Thanks