PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Taking fuel tank down . Replacing pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:22 PM
Default Taking fuel tank down . Replacing pump

Looks like pump is shot out. Got to remove the tank
I hear is a pretty nasty time consuming job
Could anyone post the procedure
It doesn't looks like too much work.
Or I wanna see it that way 😁

Old 04-24-2019, 07:16 AM

Make sure its not just the fuel pump relay. Its the box under the hood next to the battery. Mine went out a few years ago.

Tim

Old 04-24-2019, 07:54 AM

Relay is good . I checked and is clicking and also switch to another relay still no fuel
Thx

Old 04-24-2019, 09:20 AM

I believe the straps are just one nut each if I remember correctly. Make sure it is as empty as it can be and place a jack with a piece of wood or something underneath to spread the weight and slowly lower it down. Once you can reach and see up there you can disconnect everything. I also unscrewed the filler neck from the sheetmetal so that could come down on it's own.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:09 AM

I wonder if you remove the rear wheel house liner how much better you can see and maybe even reach in to get at certain things to disconnect easier. I think I've read someone saying that before.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:37 PM

I just replaced my fuel pump. It's can be done with tires on the ground, but it's a lot easier with two people and a lift, especially if you have not removed the fuel.

You will first need to remove the tank guard. Depending on your clearance with your wheels, you might need to lift the truck so that the guard will clear the rear axle in order for it to slide out towards the back of the truck.

Next you disconnect the fuel lines at the front of the tank. Also, disconnect the inlet hose at the rear of the tank and both the pressure sensor and fuel pump connections by reaching up and over the top of the tank from from the center of the truck

Next you will want to have jack stands either on the front or rear, and a floor jack on the other side. Remove the fuel tank straps and continue to lower the tank between front and back slowly and carefully. Again, a good siphon job is worth the extra work to ensure this last part goes smoothly otherwise the weight of the gas is dangerous to work with, without the adequate space under the truck.

Get the tank on the ground and slide it out from the rear just as you did the shield.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:16 PM

Sounds like the most critical part is removing as much gas as possible
Well, of the 90% Im running with an empty tank this time is more than half tank full
Otherwise wouldn't be fun

Thank you all for the instructions.
I will do it this weekend

Btw the pump I get is a Delphi . Looks like this is what most people use

Old 04-25-2019, 07:20 AM

Yeah, I would not go generic on that. The original lasted 12+ years, I'd not want to take the chance of having to drop the tank again soon just to save $50.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Yeah, I would not go generic on that. The original lasted 12+ years, I'd not want to take the chance of having to drop the tank again soon just to save $50.
Totally agree! The official part your looking for is in fact an AC/Delco - most likely made by Delphi. Make sure it comes in an AC/Delco box. I bought one on eBay, that claimed it to be genuine OEM, but came in a generic brown box, which I sent back. You might also want to replace your pressure sensor as well at the time of fuel pump replacement. If you have a '03; which I know you don't but for others reading the post that do; go ahead and replace the fuel filter as well. All three are easy to replace when the tank is down, but difficult when the tank is on.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the inputs ... I didn't understand. Is the pump made by Acdelco or Delphi make it for Acdelco
I couldn't find online an Acdelco fuel pump
This one comes in a Delphi box
Will look into the fuel pressure. Thanks for the advise

Quick Reply: Taking fuel tank down . Replacing pump