PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Sunroof is slow closing tracks look good motor just sounds like it runs slow

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Default Sunroof is slow closing tracks look good motor just sounds like it runs slow

Any suggestions cables look fine well on the outside look brand new the tracks look clean and free of any dirt and nicely greased straight not worn looking the motor sounds strained sometimes when closing right at the point of closing it needs help to close two inches from completely closing sometimes with my hand but will close with help trying to fix this without having to assist it to close and work the way it should by its self thanks

Old 04-09-2013, 09:24 PM

Nobody has nothing? About sun roofs? HELP!!!

Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 PM

Weak sunroof motor?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by JCsh2
Any suggestions cables look fine well on the outside look brand new the tracks look clean and free of any dirt and nicely greased straight not worn looking the motor sounds strained sometimes when closing right at the point of closing it needs help to close two inches from completely closing sometimes with my hand but will close with help trying to fix this without having to assist it to close and work the way it should by its self thanks
I've bad this poem since I got my truck at 24k miles on it. Mine would attempt to close and get to end and open all the way again. I keep on trying to close it and eventually it does. But this past weekend it wouldn't close. Then when trying to close it it would move so slow and only close like 3 inches. Sounded like the motor was dying. I waited a little while maybe an hour and then while driving I tried closing it and it closed. I have no idea what the problem is. If the motor was going bad I would assume the sunroof would always close slowly but that's not the case. If you find out anything pls let me know.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:52 PM

When I first got mine I was opening and closing the sunroof a lot then suddenly I started noticing it slow down and sometimes not close. Advice from another forum member was to get some white silicon grease and spray down the tracks. I did that and with my finger helped guide it through several open close cycles and it brought it back to life.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the input guys I'm thinking I'm the second owner and the first owners didn't a older couple in their late 60's that probalt didnt use it much or at all it looks fine and maybe to clean but anyhow ill take a look at it again tomorrow and spray some white grease on the tracks real good and also put a volt tester on it to see if its a weak motor thanks a lot again for the info...I'll repost here what I came up with...

Old 05-01-2013, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by JCsh2
Thanks for the input guys I'm thinking I'm the second owner and the first owners didn't a older couple in their late 60's that probalt didnt use it much or at all it looks fine and maybe to clean but anyhow ill take a look at it again tomorrow and spray some white grease on the tracks real good and also put a volt tester on it to see if its a weak motor thanks a lot again for the info...I'll repost here what I came up with...

What did you find out?

Old 05-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Default Slow sunroof

I have an 03 with the same problem. Was closing fine last summer but in the fall it started to slow down. I tried the grease and it made it worst. Was just guming up the track. Had to clean it all off .then I tried a light spray oil and it was better but the jury is still out. Mike

Old 05-04-2013, 02:05 PM

For what it's worth, I cleaned the tracks, lubricated them with white lithium grease and it quickly opens and closes.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:16 AM

Well, the white lithium grease didn't work for me, that made it worse. Had to clean off all the grease and the spray oil was a little better. Will have to wait and see. Might be the motor, just haven't had time to delve into it.

Quick Reply: Sunroof is slow closing tracks look good motor just sounds like it runs slow