PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on an updated stereo for 2003 H2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 07:38 PM

I just bought my H2, and it came with a Pioneer AVIS Z1. It's a great radio and nav unit, but maps are outdated and not made anymore, and it has the common overheating problem if using for more than 2 hours, and it locks up, so it had to go...

I ended up getting this:
Amazon Amazon

Looks great and has good reviews. Cheap price with all the bells and whistles, and an Android OS so you can basically run any app you want on it (KODI for example). It arrives tomorrow so I'll keep you posted once I get it installed. I usually go name brand, but for the price for all those features, I couldn't resist trying it. Worst case, Amazon has a fantastic return program.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:38 PM

Thanks, Dave in Maine. It was hard to find a cross reference with anyone on what would work or fit in my H2. But I did go with Crutchfield because they offered that and found and ordered a Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX. I liked it because of the compatability, it had all the bells and whistles and even comes with a backup camera which was important to me. I bought it from someone else to save some money. But I ordered the recommended installation kits from Crutchfield. My next question is an easy one I think. Our GM dealer will install it for us even if it is aftermarket. Would I be smart to trust them or go with someone else? Please don't suggest I do it because like Murphy's Law, if something could go wrong, it would, lol.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:24 PM

I would trust a long time car audio shop more than I'd trust a stealership to do a good job on an audio system install myself...

Old 09-08-2017, 04:56 AM

Agree with MixManSC, Stealership sounds expensive if they are true to form.

The Pioneer you've selected looks very similar to the AVIC-F77DAB unit I have here in the UK, European models being slightly different.

Have to say its been fantastic in all respects, my only criticism is the annoying "Press ..." splash screen when it 1st powers-up, if only there was a way to get rid of it!

Other than that its better than anything else I've seen so far, in fact I have a friend who is having an AVIC-F88DAB (Latest version) installed in his H2 at this very minute. We dont have dealerships here so 3rd party installers are our only option.

I did mine myself and saved about $500.