PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stepper motor replacement in ohio

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 09:46 AM

The solder pads for the motors are not small at all. It doesn't take any type of super human soldering skills. I can understand about sending a part off, it is always scary which is why I do most things myself.

Go to youtube and watch some stepper motor replacement videos and see if it looks like something you can take on. It is really not hard at all, I believe in you!!!!

Old 02-20-2018, 11:02 AM

Ive struck a deal with a local repair shop in Parkersburg, W.Va. I will drive the H2, aka the beast to them next wed, they will remove the cluster, have it repaired, lifetime warranty,reinstall it, remove the bad pulse board for the wiper motor, and replace it, and seal it with silicone for 329.00 This shop comes highly recommended to me by people I know personally. I have talked with them at length, they know what their talking about. They have done this many times. I will provide them with a new pulse board for the wipers, an ac delco which I`ll buy online. I will have less than 500.00 in these repairs. Being shy a few fingers makes soldering and doing some things difficult. So I`m in a very comfortable place now.
I took the hummer to advance yesterday, and bought a disconnect switch commonly used on boat batteries, and bolted it to the battery and negative cable to reset the step motors. No one in this area has an H2, I could have charged admission.
There is no doubt I could have done this work cheaper if I did it myself. I`m pushing 60, ive spent my whole life in the mill, 39 years and counting, and gotten by with missing a few digits as well as could be expected. The point I`m trying to make is I know my own limitations, I can`t pick up a dime, fasten a button, pick my nose, or unsnap a ladys bra, with my right hand.
But I do have an amazing low mileage H2, and the loot to fix it, and very happy with the situation in whole.
Thank you all for your advice, encouragement, and most of all your wisdom. Knowledge is power. Its a pleasure to be a member here.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:20 PM

Excellent! Good to hear you found a place that can take care of these for you.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by raftrman
Ive struck a deal with a local repair shop in Parkersburg, W.Va. I will drive the H2, aka the beast to them next wed, they will remove the cluster, have it repaired, lifetime warranty,reinstall it, remove the bad pulse board for the wiper motor, and replace it, and seal it with silicone for 329.00 This shop comes highly recommended to me by people I know personally. I have talked with them at length, they know what their talking about. They have done this many times. I will provide them with a new pulse board for the wipers, an ac delco which I`ll buy online. I will have less than 500.00 in these repairs. Being shy a few fingers makes soldering and doing some things difficult. So I`m in a very comfortable place now.
I took the hummer to advance yesterday, and bought a disconnect switch commonly used on boat batteries, and bolted it to the battery and negative cable to reset the step motors. No one in this area has an H2, I could have charged admission.
There is no doubt I could have done this work cheaper if I did it myself. I`m pushing 60, ive spent my whole life in the mill, 39 years and counting, and gotten by with missing a few digits as well as could be expected. The point I`m trying to make is I know my own limitations, I can`t pick up a dime, fasten a button, pick my nose, or unsnap a ladys bra, with my right hand.
But I do have an amazing low mileage H2, and the loot to fix it, and very happy with the situation in whole.
Thank you all for your advice, encouragement, and most of all your wisdom. Knowledge is power. Its a pleasure to be a member here.
Be sure and let us know how that went when you get it dome.....

Old 02-20-2018, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by hummer_on_fumes
If you don't care about driving around without a cluster for a week you can buy the service off eBay and mail them your cluster, they refurbish it and mail it back. I had this done for mine and they replaced all the stepper motors, bulbs, etc. I forget who the seller was but there's tons of people who do it, it cost me around $100
If you find the Seller you used, please post. May need for future reference...

Old 02-20-2018, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by TeeStu
If you find the Seller you used, please post. May need for future reference...
I just checked and the guy I used is no longer registered on eBay (not sure why), but all you need to do is search 20XX Hummer H2 cluster repair and there's tons of sellers who do it. I would check their recent feedback and just make sure they do good work. They will also upgrade to led (I stuck with original bulbs) and usually give a lifetime guarantee

Old 02-21-2018, 05:53 AM

The H2 goes in the shop next wed, the 28th, they will take the cluster out, then ship it, and I will drive it home and park it. I am told it takes about a week to get it back, In the meantime I`ll be driving my trusty old 94 yukon, when they get it back, i`l drive it back over, they will replace the cluster, and remove the the pulse board for the wiper motor and replace it with a new one I ordered yesterday off of amazon.com, it was 83.00 bucks, and is an ac delco part. #19120103. It has a new improved seal on it also. So its gonna be about 10-14 days till its all repaired. When I get it home, and everythings fixed I will post the name of the shop that repaired the cluster in case anyone needs it.
I bought this hummer right after Christmas. All repairs should be complete by mid March. I replaced the battery with a new correct size one with 840 cca, put a new starter on it, will have the stepper motors and pulse board replaced, Its been quite a learning experience, buying a vehicle from the other side of the country, Getting it transported from texas to ohio in a blizzard, and now fixing everything thats broken.
Its great to see light at the end of the tunnel, and know its not a train headed at me.
Thank you all, for your advice,input, and sharing your knowledge.