PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Stepper motor replacement in ohio

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:57 AM
Default Stepper motor replacement in ohio

I have an 05 hummer H2, the stepper motors and bulbs need replaced, I`m looking for someone In, or around southeastern Ohio to remove the cluster, and replace the motors and bulbs, I can drive to you, spend the night in a local motel if need be while you do this for me. The closest place outside of the local dealer I can find is in Richmond Va. Thats a long drive for me. 900 miles round trip. Obviously I can pay you to do this for me. I want someone that has done it before. Perhaps someone here can point me in the right direction of a reputable repair shop. I work swing shift, so if you call and I don`t answer please leave me a message. I can be reached at 740-423-1480, or leave a message here. I would like to get this done on my next long break, about the same time, in March. Thank you.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:47 AM

Its not a difficult job.. You can buy the motors on ebay which usually come with instructions. All you need is someone with good soldering/desoldering skills.

The trick is to stick masking tape under each needle (without disturbing its position) and mark the needle's zero position. This is important because the motor start positions are not at zero, they can infact rotate below zero.

Once you've marked out the positions the needles can be gently prised-off with a dining fork.

The whole job takes around 90 minutes and can save you some money!

Old 02-19-2018, 07:44 AM

That being said, I'm sure you could find someplace local that has the soldering skills to do it. Or.... you could pull the cluster out yourself (very easy) and mail it it off to one of the eBay places and have them do it. It will still run and drive just fine without it for a few days, you just will not know how fast you are going, how much fuel you have, etc.... Your mileage would also be off by however much you drive it without the cluster installed but if its only a few days driving locally I'd not worry about that. Doing a cross country several thousand mile trip might be unethical though.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:07 AM

Thank you both for your input, I live in a very small town. We don`t have uber here, or even a wall mart. I am uncomfortable taking the cluster out and repairing it myself, I am missing a few digits on my right hand, and have a problem just doing regular things most people take for granted. Even more so dropping it off and having it shipped somewhere and hoping for the best. I have 52k miles on this hummer, losing the cluster, would be a disaster. Driving it to richmond va would take a day, once there they would remove the cluster, 75.00, and replace the motors and bulbs for 235.00, then reinstall it while I wait. I would get a 1 year warranty. If I can`t find someone local, then I will drive it there, and have it repaired. I am exploring all options at this point. I really appreciate your advice though, Thank you.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:30 PM

Also check on craigslist then... Might get lucky. There is a place about 45 minutes from where I live that is always running an ad for speedometer repair.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:25 PM

I will check craigslist, What city is your speedometer repair in? Would you know the business name? Thanks for your input it is appreciated.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:35 PM

https://columbia.craigslist.org/pts/...484313917.html

Thats the ad - I think it is in the upstate are of South Carolina.

I'd also try just doing a Google search for speedometer repair ohio - you might find some place a lot closer to you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spee...er+repair+ohio

I just tried it and a few came up that might be closer and able to take care of you while you wait. Surely there would be someone or someplace around Cincinnati.

Last edited by MixManSC; 02-19-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:49 PM

I`m looking at your link on google now, columbus is very close, Thank you very much.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by raftrman
I`m looking at your link on google now, columbus is very close, Thank you very much.
If you don't care about driving around without a cluster for a week you can buy the service off eBay and mail them your cluster, they refurbish it and mail it back. I had this done for mine and they replaced all the stepper motors, bulbs, etc. I forget who the seller was but there's tons of people who do it, it cost me around $100

Last edited by hummer_on_fumes; 02-19-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:14 AM

Thank you for your input. Its appreciated.

Quick Reply: Stepper motor replacement in ohio