PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Shaft issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 12:16 PM
Default Steering Shaft issues

Have any of you had to have your steering shaft repacked, where it meets the rest of the components in front (idler arm, pitman area)? I've heard there's a tech bulletin for failed lubricant, and mine is starting to feel odd. on little bumps, i can feel something in the wheel. the steering wheel itself is fine, no slop, but the best way to describe it is like somebody hitting the shaft with a hammer, lightly, and the vibration carrying through to the steering wheel. i've replaced the stock steering components with the fabtech kit (idler arm, pitman arm and tie rod ends and don't remember if this was there before or not), and i'm sure my local dealer will tell me that's the problem and not covered in warranty. but if there's a tech bulletin for this problem, they have less leg to stand on.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Default RE: Steering Shaft issues

Do you know if its for all years H2. And where can we look at that tech bullitine. Mine feels fine, but then again I only have 1300 miles on it.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:55 AM

I have like 6,000 miles on my 2005, and I haven't encountered that problem. Does that fabtech kit help when you are off roading? I've been advised to replace my stock idler arm, but will it still be covered by the warranty?[sm=smiley25.gif][sm=smiley25.gif]

Old 09-28-2005, 12:34 PM

I think it's an '03-'04 issue, but I don't know for sure. i've got a lot more miles than either of you (44k), but that shouldn't be a reason for it breaking, especially if it's something GM knows about. as for the fabtech steering, all i know is i didn't break a tie rod end when we took it offroad in the boulders. as for the warranty, the only thing that wouldn't be covered if you replaced the idler arm would be the idler arm. although, if you're going to do that, you should replace the pitman arm and tie rod ends as well, since beefing up only one will still leave you with weaknesses in the others. i verified with the dealer about warranty issues before i put the fabtech upgrade on. since even trying to turn with your wheel against a curb could stress and bend/break a tie rod end, it's worth the peace of mind.

if i find a GM site with a list of tech bulletins, I'll pass it on.

Old 09-28-2005, 12:55 PM

NHTSA site with just tons of bulletins on the h2. i don't have time to read them all, but this link covers those that seem to concern the issue i have.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...sb/results.cfm

if the link doesn't work, just start at odi.nhtsa. (Office of Defects Investigation). i'll be calling the dealer later today.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:59 AM

Hey Shortbus,
I just posted a message in regards to this same thing. Or at least I think, I'm having the same problem you did. Did you ever find out what the problem was and what did it take to replace it?? Please advise!

Woody

Old 07-21-2006, 12:12 PM

they replaced the intermediate steering shaft. i guess the original grease they used went bad after a while and allowed the teeth to wear, causing a thump feeling in the steering wheel at slow speeds. had nothing to do with the fabtech steering components