PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Starter Alert!! Starter Alert!! Please Read?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Default Starter Alert!! Starter Alert!! Please Read?

Hello Friends,
FYI,
Please check or have a mechanic check your starter electrical harness stud contacts at the starter for rust or corrosion.
You can see the starter stud contacts through an opening in the passenger side wheel well.
You may need a flash light to get a better view.
If there is rust or corrosion present, it is just a matter of time before your starter may not start due to poor electrical contact.
If there is rust or corrosion present and you try to remove the nut that is attached with the main power harness at the starter, it will only snap the bolt right off because the nut is fused to the bolt.
In this case you will have to have the starter replaced.
Make sure you wire brush clean the two harness loop contacts.
One large loop is for the main power from the battery and the smaller loop is for the solenoid.
Once replaced and the nuts are tightened, take a can of spray paint and spray paint the electrical stud contacts to prevent rust and corrosion.
If there is no rust or corrosion present, spray paint the electrical stud contacts anyway to prevent rust and corrosion.
My starter would not start due to poor electrical contact.
I tried to removed the harness from the starter and wire brush clean the studs, but the studs just snapped off! Even after using some "Penetrating Solvent" it was just too far gone.
I replaced the starter, $165 at Auto Zone with limited lifetime warranty.
My Vehicle is a 2003' H2 in New York City.
Please be advised!
Safari Hummer H2

Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 AM

Good tip. I think I need to do that to mine.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by SafariHummerH2
Hello Friends,
FYI,
Please check or have a mechanic check your starter electrical harness stud contacts at the starter for rust or corrosion.
You can see the starter stud contacts through an opening in the passenger side wheel well.
You may need a flash light to get a better view.
If there is rust or corrosion present, it is just a matter of time before your starter may not start due to poor electrical contact.
If there is rust or corrosion present and you try to remove the nut that is attached with the main power harness at the starter, it will only snap the bolt right off because the nut is fused to the bolt.
In this case you will have to have the starter replaced.
Make sure you wire brush clean the two harness loop contacts.
One large loop is for the main power from the battery and the smaller loop is for the solenoid.
Once replaced and the nuts are tightened, take a can of spray paint and spray paint the electrical stud contacts to prevent rust and corrosion.
If there is no rust or corrosion present, spray paint the electrical stud contacts anyway to prevent rust and corrosion.
My starter would not start due to poor electrical contact.
I tried to removed the harness from the starter and wire brush clean the studs, but the studs just snapped off! Even after using some "Penetrating Solvent" it was just too far gone.
I replaced the starter, $165 at Auto Zone with limited lifetime warranty.
My Vehicle is a 2003' H2 in New York City.
Please be advised!
Safari Hummer H2
thanks for sharing this helpful tips. I always use flash light to check my starter. I see to it that they are regularly cleaned to avoid corrosion. Having a lifetime warranty is good for your vehicle.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 PM

Thank you for sharing! I'm checking my starter connections tomorrow...

Old 09-18-2012, 11:31 AM

on it today!!! thanks for the heads up bro