PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 11:15 AM
Default Side mirrors

I'm still looking for someone that has had the same issues with both my mirrors. They both wont fold in ( they will fold out but not in) and they wont adjust down and up but will adjust out and In.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:41 PM

Mcoci replied to your other thread in the H2 SUT section yesterday. Was that not what you wanted to hear? The motors are failing in them which is pretty common.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:17 PM

First I want to thank you for your response. Maybe you can add to this , I think there it 2 motors for each mirror if I understand correctly. Isn't it a really big coincidence that both mirrors are doing the same thing , in both the folding and the adjusting. That would mean all 4 motors are failing in the exact way at the exact same time? And it's not that your reply wasn't what I wanted to hear but it just didn't make sense to me . That all 4 motors failed same time the same way. So I just wanted to wait to see if anyone else has experienced this , before I start taking my doors apart. That's all and thanks again I hope my second post didn't offend you.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:59 PM

The folding in part is most common because of car washes, vehicles in service shops, etc that do not expect power folding functions and they manually fold them in which screws the gears up. What I'd be sure of is if you hear the motors at all when trying to adjust them with the buttons. If you hear the motors then you will know its the motors. If it were anything else you would not hear them at all. I've just never heard of them failing in any other way. It is certain possible that the door module itself has in some way fried.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:50 PM

How do you fold the mirrors in? I didn’t know they did that.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:31 AM

There are two buttons on the driver's door - one to fold the mirrors in and another to swing them back out.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:43 PM

Well you've found someone who's had the same issue!

Firstly there is just a single motor that drives the mirror-arms IN and OUT this YT video
shows everything relating to that. You will notice at the end of the video, the author struggled to get arms to fold-in. The good news is it seems like your arm-motors are actually working!

There are two other motors, a Horizontal-Motor (PAN) and a Vertical-Motor (Tilt) that position the mirror-glass, these motors have position-feedback to enable the door controller to determine the mirror-positions and remember where they were.

The Pan and Tilt motors of both sides have to be fully working as the door controllers first "Homes" the mirrors (mid position) before folding the arm IN.

Presumeably GM needed to make sure there was no possibility of a protuding mirror-glass hitting the paintwork or getting broken, if any of the Pan & Tilt motors cannot " home" the arm-retract function is disabled.

This could be caused a broken motor-gear assembly OR the motor-wiring has accidentally been reversed (easy to do) so check the UP/DOWN and LEFT/RIGHT move both mirrors correctly, if necessay reverse the wiring of the offending motor (2003-2005 model years only I think)

Please let us know how you get on!

Last edited by oceanbrave; 07-17-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:09 AM

Any feedback positive or negative helps the Hummer community, again please keep the forum posted.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:00 AM

from what i understand the motor that moves the mirror glass is stock GM motor used in GM truck mirrors so could be found in tahoe"s/ denali"s/ suburban's and such but that might be for this style mirror

Old 07-20-2019, 06:46 AM

bronxtech you may well be correct.

I implanted the vital parts from a Silverado mechanism and refurbished my H2 mirrors, Sadly the Silverado was different, GM replaced the individual motor wires with a single connector, but the plastic gears, pivot-arm and cradle-cup were the same and its these that usually break.

The important thing is there is a repair path available despite the differences.

I actually managed to 3D-Print some gears which actually worked, but the level of intracacy is too high to be viable, plus the material's durability is questionable.

The attached JPGs are for those interested.

Quick Reply: Side mirrors