PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Score on some sweet wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 06:06 PM
Default Score on some sweet wheels!

Hit a local ad for some wheels and came out great. $550 for a set of Weld Racing Forged Cheyenne 18x9's. Super nice full forged made in the USA wheels. Now to decide on Mickey's or Coopers... I'm tempted to try for 37x12.5 but I think I'll probably play it safe and go with 35x12.5. The tires that came on them are rubbish worn out Nitto's. The wheels were filthy but cleaned up great with only a little bit of spots on the chrome on the backside and one tiny spot on the front of one near the center which I cleaned and sealed with a dab of clear epoxy. I'll still need to spend another $100 or so on center caps as well but still not bad for a $3000 set of wheels. No giant wheels for me, I prefer a nice ride and useful off road which means I like some sidewall, not rubber bands. lol 18's are still a step up from the stock 17's though and I was actually surprised at how much bigger just 18's look over the 17's.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:05 PM

Not bad..... should we expect you wont get them dirty :-)

BTW, I love my Open Country M/T ... something to think about

Old 04-02-2019, 09:21 PM

Nice find, I need to hit my local craigs as well. I used to scope the H2 parts multiple time a day lol

Old 04-03-2019, 06:54 AM

I do not like most aftermarket car and truck wheels but those look great! Forged and USA made are hard to find these days. I push forged USA made wheels over cast Chineseium wheels in my motorcycle business. Does BF Goodrich have tires in your size? I think the BFG tires look the best on an H2.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:04 AM

Yeah BFG is available and I've always been a big fan of the AT TA/KO tires which I also run on my truck. The reviews on the newer KO2 ones are just not as good though. My brother in law put some on his Dodge truck and at a little over 25,000 miles they are about done. Plus they run smaller than they should now. The original KO's are awesome though. I actually still have the originals that came on our H2's on mine right now on the stock wheels.

I know the somewhat pricey Toyo's are top notch and some of the best rated M/T's out there but think I'm wanting to go with a through and through American made and owned brand which there are only two left, Goodyear and Cooper. Cooper makes Cooper of course but also Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek, Avon, Mastercraft and a couple of other brands. Many of the other brands tires are made in the US though, they are just not American owned (anymore or ever were). Really is not a big deal but I'm pretty patriotic and the Hummer is somewhat of an icon of American (excess to a point) that I just really like the idea of keeping it as American as I can.

That being said, I'm also budget conscious and am interested in tires that look good as well as ones that are well reviewed for wear, ride, traction in different conditions, etc so I might very well end up with another brand. I might even find a great deal on a good condition used set and go with that. Hard telling just yet.

Phil - I know. Been looking for the right wheels for me since I got the H2. When I bought it, it came with some black Rockstar wheels which I was not too keen on. I pretty quickly lucked out on a like new set of the "chrome" stock H2 wheels so I grabbed those and had the tires put onto them. I wanted at minimum some good quality forged wheels, preferably made in USA which as you know, is slim pickings. I was for some time trying to find the special dealer optional Hummer wheels made by Alcoa which are forged and pretty nice. I just lucked out on these instead which I am thrilled with.

Last edited by MixManSC; 04-03-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:30 AM

I am right there with ya. I have always loved the BFG ATs but newer ones are supposed to be crap. If you want a decent priced MT check out the Kuhmo Road Venture MTs. I've had them on my right for a long time, albeit I don't put much miles on my rig anymore but they look great and actually ran a little larger than stock 35s. I couldn't justify the price for BFGs or Toyos when I came across the Kuhmos. I have used that brand in the past on my previous vehicles and never had a problem. My father in law works in the tire industry and the funny thing, a lot of the so called off brand tires are made in the same factories as their "parent" companies or the companies which are well known.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:13 PM

Never took you as a chrome guy... this changes everything...

Old 04-03-2019, 02:31 PM

Me personally.... I do hate the overboard cheap plastic stick on chrome that you see on every little thing on some H2's. On mine, I've removed some of that which was on it when I bought it but I did leave the letters on the back bumper, very nice solid billet hood grabs. On the door handles and side vents I managed to find those in solid billet but in a black chrome finish which I really dig. Eventually I plan to do away with the chrome nerf bars in favor of some sort of steps, either original U steps but maybe something else. The chrome light covers, along with all the little chrome bits I sometimes see stuck all over the interior around vents, switches, etc though.... just, no.