PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running wires through firewall for off road lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 08:36 AM

That is exactly what I did on both my GMC Sierra and my H2. That is also how/where the dealer installed "factory" off road light wires are run.

One thing I'm not terribly fond of on the factory off road lights is they install a pair of relays under the dash which works fine really but you very much hear the loud click and a pop on the stereo system whenever you cut them on. I'd personally have installed watertight relays under the hood versus in the cab. I have not yet done it but on my H2 I'm going to get a Bussmann waterproof relay block and mount that under the hood. Bussmann makes some and there is a Chinese one that a lot of people also get which holds 5 standard relays and 1 oddball relay. Bussmann ones are a lot higher quality and both with the cover on look like something that would have come factory.

This is the one I'm going to use if you are curious

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/4634...TMR-Mini-Fuse/

It uses the narrower OEM style relays. Keep in mind, MOST places selling the Bussmann ones do not include any terminals or relays. There is another one where its prewired with short lengths of wire and others where the seller includes terminals, etc. on eBay and Amazon. There are a bunch of different configurations for these so make sure you know what you are getting if you go this route. I want something that has a bus bar for power in (on big 80A power wire in, instead of a separate power in for each circuit) with the ability to fuse individual relays off of that.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:24 AM

Same as me. I used a razor to make a slit in both sides and used a metal coat hanger/rod and taped the wires to it and forced them through. I made sure I was away from the factory harness as best I could. Once I had all the wires through I hung all my relays on the engine side of the firewall above that grommet.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:59 PM

I finally finished this; it literally took me 8 hours, mostly because I had to re-silicone the marker light and my door seals. The wiring on top ended up looking like somewhat of a cluster F because I had to splice and some barely reached but it works so I'm happy. I ended up using mictuning harnesses from Amazon, and Rockford fosgate battery terminals. I mounted the relays underneath the hood rest brackets. Getting thru the firewall was actually way easier than I thought, just poked a hole thru with an ice pick, taped the wires to a coat hanger, lubed them with dish soap then pushed it thru. Here's some photos of how I ran things.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:10 AM

looks good!

Old 06-17-2018, 08:51 PM

Completely redid the wiring on my roof and used waterproof connectors, looks a hell of a lot better and will be easier to replace something if i ever have a problem down the road