PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner rattle

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Default Headliner rattle

I have a 07 tactical edition with a sunroof. I have a rattle from the headliner that is getting worse. I can push up on it and it stops, but when I release it, it rattles again. Are there any screws that can be tightned? It is very aggravating, and I don't have a Hummer shop anywhere close.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Default RE: Headliner rattle

i have taken the liner down be4 for a cab light install and i have a sun roof. the only screws i did where from the sun visors and i think there are 4 on each and the clip that holds it has a screw thats all i needed to get the liner down enough to grab the wires. other wise i dont no.good luck

Old 09-24-2009, 09:11 AM

is the rattle above your left ear, i have the same issue too. next to the seat belt piller.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:45 PM

I have a sun roof and the rattle I had was behind my left ear around the sunroof. I took it to the dealer since I didn't want to try to take the liner out and after they tightened some screws, the rattle stopped but I mysteriously lost my Onstar connection. I didn't realize it until my diagnostic e-mail showed a communication error. Back to the dealer it went and it took them another day to fix that. Who knows if the two were related (I'm sure they were) but if you take it in, make sure you still have Onstar before you leave.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:55 PM

My 2008 H3 has had a rattle in the sunroof since the day I purchased it New from the dealership. The rattle only happens when the sunroof is open and going 35mph+. It has been in the shop many times for this issue and they can never seem to resolve it. First they tried to replace the glass, then they even completely replaced the entire sunroof. If I push up on the headliner, behind my right ear near the light, it stops the rattle. If anyone has a solution please let me know!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:05 PM

The rattle is getting worse. Now it rattles as I'm driving down the road without the sunroof open. I'm considering taking down the headliner to see what's up there to see if I can fix it myself but I don't want to ruin the headliner since it's very easy to break....

Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM

Post pics of what you find up there, please.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:00 AM

Hey guys. Dropping the headliner isn't that big of a deal. There are screws in the visor. The grab handles and you have to take the pillars off and there are screws and the seat belt bolts.
when you do it if you only loosen the handles bolts so far you might not take the little ring holding the bolt in place. No big deal if you don't. Just don't loose the little ring.
It is probably a wire that came loose. There is tape and plastic clips holding the wiring and it is probably loose or may even be a unhooked plug or something.
Either way don't be scared it is simple l. I was surprised the things weren't held together by more than that.
Good luck.

Last edited by BERULAKIDE; 10-12-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:42 PM

Thanks BERULAKIDE, I'll probably give this a try sometime next week and will let you guys know if I find anything.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:06 PM

No problem. I can say it is easy because this is my first car and never really worked on many before. I refuse to pay dealer or shop labor prices. It cost me almost four hundred bucks to have two lower ball joints put in and line it up after when it was lined up a month prior to. The ball joints cost me 24 bucks a piece and i took them there cuz they wanted ninety ... Sixty to eighty bucks an hour... I think not... I had my headliner down four times trying to figure out my sunroof leak problem. The place i got my windshield put in blew out the drains for me..... Or at least blew the hoses off the drains for me... So i had to take apart and fix. So i cleaned drains and fixed the cup seal in the rear passenger side. Also fixed the grommets while i was at it. To get it all the plastic in rear had to come off..
it is pretty easy to take apart. Who knows what you will find rattling in there.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Headliner rattle