PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Roof Cargo Carrier/Cargo Box

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Default Roof Cargo Carrier/Cargo Box

I was looking to get some input on which roof cargo carrier works best with the H2. I know several manufactures make the, Thule, Yakima, X-Cargo, and even GM...

I am looking for some input on which one works best with the H2. Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 11-30-2010, 12:43 PM

Get a Gobi. If you are a Hummer Club member you can get some really smokin deals on them right now.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:38 PM

X2 on the Gobi.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:36 PM

the added weight will drop your mpg a little , found out when i added my gobi rack . lost 1.5 mpg things to remember ,were our you located mike

Old 12-01-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by bosch
the added weight will drop your mpg a little , found out when i added my gobi rack . lost 1.5 mpg things to remember ,were our you located mike
Let me clarify... I am looking for one of the roof cargo boxes. One of the enclosed units to store stuff in while on a road trip. They typically mount to the roof cross bars. I'll be taking the family on a road trip in the spring and most likely will need one for extra storage.

While I think the GOBI roof racks look great, I just don't have a need for one.

BOSCH: I am located in the Chicago suburbs.... You?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:01 AM

In that case you cant go wrong with Thule or Yakima. Both are great products, main difference, iirc, is Thule uses square tubing and Yakima round for the bases.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:33 AM

Try Ebay. I snag an OEM roof cargo carrier in excelent condition (I believe they are made by Thule for Hummer) for $215 (local pick up). It's a huge item. Most seller wants local pick up only.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ador
Try Ebay. I snag an OEM roof cargo carrier in excelent condition (I believe they are made by Thule for Hummer) for $215 (local pick up). It's a huge item. Most seller wants local pick up only.
Ador: I have been looking on ebay... just none local to me yet.

Have you used it? Does the OEM fit well with the OEM cross bars? Any significant rattles or vibration?

Old 12-02-2010, 03:51 PM

mgurgone
Iam located in northern IN. just south of south bend .
the cargo box will be kinda hard to load and get anything out of it ,if you
dont want a gobi rack i would go with the rack that slides in the rear trailer hitch ,then put a box on it .. it would be easier to load and to get things out of it ...mike

Old 12-02-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by mgurgone
Ador: I have been looking on ebay... just none local to me yet.

Have you used it? Does the OEM fit well with the OEM cross bars? Any significant rattles or vibration?
This is the one I am referring to.

http://www.teakatoys.com/Hummer_H3_R...m-89006760.htm

It slides right onto the OEM roof bars. You can open the cargo carrier from either side, using the same key (which I think is cool). I only had it on when I picked it up, which was a 50 mile drive. No rattle or vibration whatsoever.

As far as getting my load in and out, I have a roof assist hand rails (2 on each side. Can step on the wheels while grabbing the roof assist handle). Also have a folding tow hitch step (OEM) and a Gobi rear ladder (I am waiting for delivery today). That should take care of how to get the luggage in and out.

Also, try looking on Craiglist for you local area. I scored some OEM parts from craiglist at really good prices. You just have to be looking at the right time, for the right item.

Last edited by ador; 12-02-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Roof Cargo Carrier/Cargo Box