Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H2 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h2-8/)
-   -   Replacing both catalytic converters (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h2-8/replacing-both-catalytic-converters-40084/)

myrddin 08-08-2018 12:47 PM

Replacing both catalytic converters

I’m having a nagging P0420, and I’m noticing a few other codes that support the need for a cat replacement. The codes as well as a white discolored cat and surrounding pipe. So I figured signs are good that one is failing and I bet the other one is not far behind. So I ordered the SS magniflow cats and will be replacing them over the weekend. I also have short headers and an aftermarket muffler (no idea of brand, was like that when I got it). Anyway on to my question. You folks think I should replace the exhaust manafold gasket while I have the cats off, or no need to? I am not aware of any leaks. But if I were to do it I guess this might be a good time.

Im going to start spraying the bolts today with some PB blaster to help them play nice over the weekend. Any other tips or thoughts?

oceanbrave 08-08-2018 03:01 PM

Totally replace the gaskets, you only want to go through this once, they are not expensive and the risk of a leak with an old gasket is high.

NoSpoon 08-08-2018 04:16 PM

I used those same SS cats when I did mine 2 years ago. I went ahead and replaced all 4 O2 sensors and it runs like new.

Good Luck!

myrddin 08-08-2018 08:33 PM

Thanks guys. I guess I’m kind of hesitant because I’m afraid a bolt will brake off. Then I would be in trouble.

Thoughts?

legerwn 08-08-2018 09:06 PM

You'll be lucky if there aren't a couple already broke off,

on the LS I would leave things alone if they aren't leaking as they are known for broken manifold bolts.

If you do decide to tackle the gaskets be prepared to deal with broken bolts.

Neal

myrddin 08-08-2018 09:15 PM

All the bolt heads are there. They have been out at some point because someone put headers on it’ll inspect them closer tomorrow. I’m thinking if they are leaking I’d see black around the head

NoSpoon 08-09-2018 07:40 AM

If you have headers and plan to replace the header gaskets but good GM gaskets and replace the bolts with these:ARP 4341301 Header Stud Kit for Chevy LS1

Many of us here have used them and I haven't any issues since.

myrddin 08-09-2018 08:32 AM

NoSpoon. I have them on the list. I’m still trying to decide if I should try to replace them, or the gaskets. I am not aware of a leek, and I have no broken bolts. I’m afraid if I try to remove the bolts to swap gaskets that the bolts will snap and then I’ll be stuck with a how to repair situation. My ICD wants me to replace the bolts and gaskets while I’m in. But my logical thoughts are if it ain’t broke... don’t fix it.

:)

NoSpoon 08-09-2018 08:49 AM

myrddin,

If you don't have any leaks then you may be good. I had a couple that were broken so when I installed headers and cats I did them at that time. Fortunately the 2 broken bolts left enough sticking out to grab with an extractor tool. If and when you do these remove the plastic inner fender wells, takes 5 minutes and makes everything easy to reach.

Good Luck!

myrddin 08-09-2018 09:05 AM

Thanks buddy! So would you say that if the bolt heads are all there that I should keep as is? And if that’s true would you say to keep an eye on them and if one of the bolt heads break then it’s time to go in and replace all the bolts and gaskets?

NoSpoon 08-10-2018 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by myrddin (Post 353782)
Thanks buddy! So would you say that if the bolt heads are all there that I should keep as is? And if that’s true would you say to keep an eye on them and if one of the bolt heads break then it’s time to go in and replace all the bolts and gaskets?

My thoughts would be to take advantage of the fact that all the bolt heads are there and replace them and the gaskets now or before a problem comes up.

Good Luck!

myrddin 08-10-2018 07:29 AM

Haha... man. Yes good point. Dang it. I’ll see what happens. I’m starting the removal today.

legerwn 08-10-2018 03:22 PM

If the bolts have been replaced (header install) chances are good you wont have an issue,

the factory bolts are of poor quality and break often, my 08 has 1 broken bolt.

Once replaced with good bolts they rarely fail again,

I would give it a shot and see what happens,

Neal

myrddin 08-10-2018 07:06 PM

I ordered the bolts and am about to order the gaskets. Mixman is this the right one?

Remflex 2008 Exhaust Gasket for Chevy V8 Engine, (Set of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2HM5NA/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_DAIBBbXN97KD7

I started working on it tonight. I pulled the skid, and was able to unbolt and remove the driver side easy. The passenger side converter bolts are all ate up. I cut off the ones I could get to. I’m down to one bolt on the back side where the converter meets the header. I think I need some kind of socket that will bite into the metal there really isint a lot of flat left on it for me to turn. Ideas? Extractor of some sort?

i can see the manafold bolts better now. I think they are all there but I’m afraid they are also not as flat as they used to be. Once I can get to them I’ll see how the socket feels on them.

I have a bunch bunch of questions. I’m just so beat from being under the Hummer that I’m going to have to ask tomorrow. Sucks getting old!

please let me know on the part number and what ideas you have to get that last bolt out. Thinking extractor set and work it from the top and bottom.

myrddin 08-10-2018 07:31 PM

I just ordered the riemfkex 2008 gaskets. Now I just need to focus on the bolts....

MixManSC 08-11-2018 08:10 AM

Yeah that was the right gasket set to order. Broken manifold bolts are a pain. Remove the front wheels and black plastic wheel housing liners to make access easier. Well worth the extra 15 minutes... On mine I had 4 broken bolts but ultimately failed to extract all but one. The rear drivers side one just kicked my ass for a few hours... Mine had been broken there for quite some time and I previously already had one of the clamp repair brackets to clamp that one down so I just put that back on with my new headers and it works just fine.

If it comes to it - this is the drivers side rear one (or pass side front).

There is another one that clamps the rear pass or front driver ends.

Kroil is awesome stuff for repeatedly soaking rusted bolts. On mine I soaked the bolts a few times over a prior week. Then just prior to pulling them, while the front end was on jack stands, etc I ran the engine for about 3 minutes to heat things up just a little. Then went at them. 2 more bolts ended up breaking off for a total of 4. Three extracted pretty easily.

myrddin 08-11-2018 08:25 AM

I hope things work out for me. I guess we will see. I still have one of the converter bolts to get out. Then I’ll work on the headers. I’m going to pick up a tank of mapp gas and some bolt extractors. I’ll let you guys know how it goes. I’m expecting the worst, because that’s all I’ve read about. Thing is if I can’t get them all out without braking them I’m not sure how to get them repaired. I guess I’ll figure that out when I get there.

myrddin 08-11-2018 10:12 AM

I am taking a brake :) it’s hot this morning. I was able to use a bolt extractor kit (and my son :( ) to get the last converter to header bolt out. So now I have both cars off. I also pulled the fender liners as recommended. I picked up some PB Blaster and soaked the bolts as best I could. Going to give them an hour and soak them agn. I picked up a tank of mapp gas so I can heat up the area around the bolts (as you know they are hard to get too, so I’ll do the best I can). Should I remove the plug wires?

On a a side note I have many questions about things I’ve discovered along the way. I may make another post asking things. But this one seems to be related. My passenger side fender liner is melted a bit in the area of the header. Should I get some heat wrap? Or could it be that who ever installed them may not have had the liners in right? Unsure if it’s normal

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hum...3834bd706.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hum...a4b4491e5.jpeg

MixManSC 08-11-2018 11:35 AM

No thats not normal but if the particular headers come that close there is not much you can do other than trimming the wheel liner or wrapping the header pipes where they come close. Many strongly recommend against wrapping headers as it traps moisture and will reduce their life dramatically in the long run. Only good option in my opinion is to get ceramic coated headers but that is expensive.

myrddin 08-11-2018 11:56 AM

Thanks! I’ll keep as is for now. I’m about to go out and try the first header manafold bolt :eek: I’ll let you know how it goes

myrddin 08-11-2018 02:12 PM

Alright. All the bolts came out. Man I was stressed. The rest of the parts will be in tomorrow.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hum...b94f1eba8.jpeg

myrddin 08-11-2018 02:44 PM

So I know for tomorrow. I would assume I need to use anti seeze on the stud and nut... do I need to torque the ARP studs or just run them in till they bottom out? What is the torque of the exhaust manafold nuts (ARP) and what is the torque on the converter bolts/nuts?

also can anyone recommend what bolts to get fee the converter to header and converter to muffler? Or do I just go to the local parts store and grab some exhaust bolts?

MixManSC 08-11-2018 06:10 PM

I reused the lower ones on mine. Bolts into the block need to be properly torqued with a torque wrench. That is what will properly compress the graphite gaskets. The GM eSI system says for a 2005 (my guess is it might be the same for 08/09 models but you might search google to be sure)

"Important
    • Tighten the exhaust manifold bolts as specified in the service procedure. Improperly installed and/or leaking exhaust manifold gaskets may affect vehicle emissions and/or On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) II system performance.
    • The cylinder head exhaust manifold bolt hole threads must be clean and free of debris or threadlocking material.
    • Do not apply sealant to the first three threads of the bolt.
  2. Apply a 5 mm (0.2 in) wide band of threadlock GM P/N 12345493 (Canadian P/N 101953488) or equivalent to the threads of the exhaust manifold bolts.
  3. Install the exhaust manifold, NEW gasket and bolts.
  4. Tighten
    1. Tighten the exhaust manifold bolts a first pass to 15 N·m (11 lb ft). Tighten the exhaust manifold bolts beginning with the center two bolts. Alternate from side-to-side, and work toward the outside bolts.
    2. Tighten the exhaust manifold bolts a final pass to 25 N·m (18 lb ft). Tighten the exhaust manifold bolts beginning with the center two bolts. Alternate from side-to-side, and work toward the outside bolts."
"Install the exhaust manifold pipe nuts. Tighten the nuts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft)"

myrddin 08-12-2018 12:25 AM

What I’m not following is that it’s teferring to the stock bolts and not the ARP studs. Do I need to torque the studs or turn them in till they bottom out? Then I assume I would torque the nut. Also I’m reading some say use anti seeze and some use lock tight. Confusing.

MixManSC 08-12-2018 09:40 AM

I'm not certain in that case. Might check some of the GR truck forums to see if there are recommendations on using the studs instead of bolts. I say that because the trucks are far far more common and use the exact same engines, etc. I'd guess that the stud would be installed until they bottom out (and probably use some removable loctite) and then torque the nuts (also with removable loctite) to the same torque specs I posted. The final torque specs should be the same regardless of the fastener type as that is required to properly compress the gaskets.

myrddin 08-14-2018 07:38 PM

Ok I got the studs in and gaskets on also put the headers back on and I just bolted up the converters. I have an exhaust leak where the passenger side cat attaches to the muffler pipe. Should there be a gasket there? It’s metal to metal... the cat side has a rounded hump and the muffler side has a reseeded hump. I have it pretty tight there. Not sure what to do. I drive over to the parts store and they didn’t know anything about it, and didn’t show any gasket on the computer.

Am I supposed to have one of these? I don’t think I had one before I took it apart. But I could if lost it I guess.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hum...029b31d397.png
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hum...0fbc1511fa.png

Kind of stuck. Going to call it a day

myrddin 08-15-2018 04:25 PM

I loosened it up and realigned the flange and tightened it all back up and it’s better now. I’ll check the bolts after I drive it for a week. I noticed I have a crack in the seam of my muffler so I’m thinking once I pay off the converters I’ll order a muffler to match.

No no more work for now... I cleared the code. I hope it’s gone for good. p0420