PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repairing Plastic???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 12:47 PM
Default Repairing Plastic???

I am wondering if there is a good and easy way to repair the plastic interior parts in our H2s?
I have heard of plastic welding(?) but I am a noob (as I mentioned before :-P )
and would like to know how to repair the plastic good and easy. If plastic welding is easy and not expensive, great please tell me about it. If there are other ways to do this, please let me know.

I think I plan to fix up the cracks or whatever enough to eventually paint over it or have it shot with truck liner.
Of course, some stuff I am not planning to do all that to, so I would like the best way to fix it where it makes the cracks or breaks strong again and appear minor.

thanks

Old 12-11-2018, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by CSI H2
I am wondering if there is a good and easy way to repair the plastic interior parts in our H2s?
I have heard of plastic welding(?) but I am a noob (as I mentioned before :-P )
and would like to know how to repair the plastic good and easy. If plastic welding is easy and not expensive, great please tell me about it. If there are other ways to do this, please let me know.

I think I plan to fix up the cracks or whatever enough to eventually paint over it or have it shot with truck liner.
Of course, some stuff I am not planning to do all that to, so I would like the best way to fix it where it makes the cracks or breaks strong again and appear minor.

thanks
I've been fixing all of my broken plastics with plastic weld epoxy

Old 12-11-2018, 05:17 PM

It depends greatly on where and how its broken, how thin it is there, how brittle the plastic has become, etc. I've used JB Weld Plastic weld epoxy as fumes mentioned, sometimes use a soldering iron and melt pieces back together on the backside or where not visible. Sometimes cut a scrap semi thin piece of some other plastic to act as a support on the backside of a break. Certain plastics like ABS you can grind some from something else up into a powder (or buy the powder - popular among the drone flyers for repairs) and dissolve that in a suitable solvent like acetone and make and actual liquid plastic repair adhesive/filler.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:26 PM

WOW!!!
I am so glad I found this forum. I can no believe the amount of knowledge and "alternative ideas" everyone has
Thats one of my favorite things is alternative ideas. Especially with older vehicles where the parts are becoming hard to find, I like the idea of doing things to fix or modify our trucks that isnt along the lines of the normal stuff.